Raspberry Pi post-install grow partition question

Posted by petertgarner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Raspberry Pi post-install grow partition question
October 21, 2014 01:47PM
I just downloaded the latest Raspberry Pi image (thankks Matthias!) and installed it on a 16Gb MicroSD card. My original intention was to use it with the new Raspi Model B+ but I see this is a work in progress, so I'm using it on a spare Model B.

So, what I noticed after the DD was complete I was left with a 150Mb and a 2Gb partition, which meant that I had about 13Gb wasted space. I used gparted on my Linux box to grow the 2Gb partition to fill the MicroSD card and /dev/root now says that I have a 15Gb partition with 13Gb free. drinking smiley

Is this the right/acceptable way to do this?

edit: on a Raspbian-based system you'd normally do this with raspi-config, but this is my first Arch install and I don't think it's supplied with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 01:49PM by petertgarner.
Re: Raspberry Pi post-install grow partition question
October 21, 2014 03:56PM
Hi,
yes raspi-config is not supplied on the archLinux. It is too bad, I think.
After you used gparted, did you do a resizefs ? I recommend to do that on a 2nd Linux computer, not directly from the RPi image you are running on.

resize2fs <parition-name>
see: [www.microhowto.info]

As an alternative, you can create an additional partition to use the spare space. (if wanted, I write a howto)

best regards
Matthias
October 21, 2014 04:05PM
Resize2fs? Errr, no. I'll check this out and make sure everything starts correctly. Thanks for the info!
October 22, 2014 11:11AM
Just a quick followup - I checked the resized partition with resize2fs on my (other) Linux box and it reported that there was "nothing to do". FYI, I previously ran gparted on the other Linux box, not on the Raspberry Pi, so it seems to have worked without problems (so far).

Thanks for your help Matthias.
you can use fdisk -l and copy start sector of /dev/sda2 when delete it and make new again, answer all press enter except one - paste start secret of second partition what you copy previously. when save changes by pressing 'w'. then use resize2fs /dev/sda2
secret* not, sector smiling smiley)