Pi(rate) box on Pi2B

Posted by inextremis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Pi(rate) box on Pi2B
March 10, 2015 03:58PM
Hello,

I've tried to install a Pi(rate) Box on my newly acquired RPi2B, but it doesn't boot at all.
Nothing, nada, just a black screen.

I see the sd card led flashing once right at the beginning but nothing else than a black screen after.

Did someone have a successful installation on a RPi2B ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 12:05PM by inextremis.
Re: Pi(rate) box on Pi2B
March 11, 2015 04:52AM
Have you had any luck?
March 11, 2015 09:41AM
The SD Card image is for the RaspberryPi 1 only - not for RPi2
Both have different architecture, so that I have to prepare a new image for the RPi2

Sorry for that,

regards Matthias

This is only my signature.
March 11, 2015 11:23AM
When will the image be out?
March 11, 2015 12:05PM
Thanks Matthias, no need to rush on that.

I'll continue playing with my MR3020 for now.
March 12, 2015 07:42AM
When I have some freetime to work focused on it. I'm currently VERY busy.. too busy, to be honest.

sad smiley
April 14, 2015 05:12AM
Any progress on creating a new image? I am not sure if this will work, but I am going to follow the manual install instructions and attempt to create a working image for the Raspberry Pi 2. I would really love to be able to bring my Rpi2 with me on trips. I use piratebox on a RpiB to wirelessly share files from an external hd to my ipad/iphones/laptop on the road.
April 19, 2015 03:18PM
Not on my side, I have no time- unfortunately sad smiley

April 25, 2015 04:35AM
Made an account just to post this:

I managed to get piratebox running successfully on a new Raspberry Pi 2 by following the manual install instructions. Pretty much just bought a Pi 2 kit from CanaKit, installed Raspbian from the NOOBS card, ran updates, installed necessary dependencies, and the Piratebox - Share Freely network popped up immediately. From there I got Kahera imageboard running (http://forum.piratebox.cc/read.php?7,14067) and then enabled minidlna on startup with "sudo update-rc.d minidlna defaults".

Seems to work fine.
May 04, 2015 04:33PM
Thanks for posting this and pointing out, that it is only the issue of CREATING the image, what is the reason why there is no image.
Technically it will work.
June 10, 2015 07:27AM
Where is the best place to send a RPi2 image, should I upload it as a torrent file and just place the link here?

Regards

Pace
@PACE put that bad boy up as a torrent and give us the mag link. Longtime lurker here, and I made an account to tell you this pace... So you know lol
June 11, 2015 12:04AM
No problem, I'm also creating a complete install document, so will run through this one more time today, check that everything is working ok and upload.

Regards,

Pace
June 12, 2015 12:15PM
Ok, im trying to get the image file created as a smaller file as its currently built on a 16G drive. Until then here are the installation instructions to roll your own.

This assumes that you have a supported WIFI card that supports AP Mode and a connection from your RPi2 to the internet.

Initial Raspberry Pi Setup

1) Enter the command sudo rasps-config to configure the system.

Language: HTML
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo raspi-config

2) Choose the following options
1) Expand Filesystem 2) (optional) At this point you may also want to choose option 2 Change User Password, 3) Internationalization Options, choose your settings as UTF-8 8) Advance Options, A4 SSH (Enable)

Finish and allow the system to reboot,

Install Dependencies

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get -y install lighttpd sudo /etc/init.d/lighttpd stop sudo update-rc.d lighttpd remove sudo apt-get -y install dnsmasq sudo /etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop sudo update-rc.d dnsmasq remove sudo apt-get -y install hostapd sudo /etc/init.d/hostapd stop sudo update-rc.d hostapd remove sudo apt-get -y install iw sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln /bin/bash /bin/sh sudo chmod a+rw /bin/sh

Install PirateBox

wget http://downloads.piratebox.de/piratebox-ws_current.tar.gz tar xzf piratebox-ws_current.tar.gz cd piratebox sudo mkdir -p /opt sudo cp -rv piratebox /opt cd /opt/piratebox sudo sed ';s:DROOPY_USE_USER="no":DROOPY_USE_USER="yes":'; -i /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf sudo ln -s /opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox /etc/init.d/piratebox sudo update-rc.d piratebox defaults sudo /etc/init.d/piratebox start

Get Imageboard

sudo /opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf imageboard

Edit the config.pl file with vi, and edit the ADMIN_PASS and SECRET. Remove the # from the start of the line

sudo vi /opt/piratebox/www/board/config.pl

# System config
# use constant ADMIN_PASS => ‘CHANGEME’; # Admin password. For fucks's sake, change this.
# use constant SECRET => ‘CHANGEME’; # Cryptographic secret. CHANGE THIS to something totally random, and long.

Activate Timesave Functionality
sudo /opt/piratebox/bin/timesave.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf install

Install Minidlna
sudo apt-get install minidlna sudo cp /etc/minidlna.conf /etc/minidlna.conf.bkp sudo cp /opt/piratebox/src/linux.example.minidlna.conf /etc/minidlna.conf sudo update-rc.d minidlna defaults sudo service minidlna start

Edit Network Configuration
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

(delete the contents of the file and paste in the following)

auto lo   iface lo inet loopback iface eth0 inet dhcp   iface wlan0 inet manual ### disalbed for PirateBox #allow-hotplug wlan0 #wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf #iface default inet dhcp

(save and exit by pressing [Control]+x then press [Enter] to update the config file.

Reboot

sudo reboot

Finally when you logon to the PirateBox, click on Forum and then click on Kareha.pl to activate.
rid
June 12, 2015 02:29PM
Hi Pace, thank you for your work!

We've just updated the PirateBox on RPi DIY page with your instructions.
June 13, 2015 08:26AM
I have recently created an image for the raspberry Pi2, you will need a minimum of a 4Gig card.
Please test and provide feedback.

I had to resize the partition down from 16gig, but it seems to be running ok... make sure you expand the filesystem once you image your card... See the README file in the torrent.

Magnet link (open your torrent client and select add torrent from url)
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:CC58CF489C209DF6DCC8D5B8F4CD3CCAE8DA9E90&dn=RPi2PirateBox.zip&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce
rid
June 13, 2015 09:24AM
I won't be able to do the test until next week. Once it is done, I'll give you some feedback!
June 13, 2015 12:28PM
Hi Pace,

there is no seeder for this torrent online?

Regards
BlueSpider
June 13, 2015 01:07PM
It is uploading, it may be a little slow... Im staying in a hotel in China, so when I leave the room the connection turns off... it will be connected all through the night though....
June 13, 2015 02:32PM
Ok, it is hard to seed the first wave... winking smiley
I won't shutdown my machine this weekend.
June 13, 2015 03:49PM
I added it to my local client as well. It would be great if you both can agree on one kind of distribution - raspbian or archlinux (while the archlinux image is usually much smaller)

June 13, 2015 04:19PM
I think the Arch Linux Distro will be the way to go, I just thought it would be good to get something out there for people to try now on their raspberry Pi's, understand the configs and play around with it.

We will work together and to make a clean and easily accessible image under Arch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2015 04:24PM by Pace.
June 13, 2015 04:26PM
I have a torrent link in the developer forum which points to an archlinux for arm6.
It is only about 277 mb in size, so I would go with the archlinux path, too.
July 13, 2015 06:00PM
Pace,
I torrented your disk image but i am rather new to this and i have had some problems. first off, can this be used on the raspberry pi 2?
if so, could you give a bit more instruction on setting it up (not like flashing the chip but the otherstuff). finally, is the manual method compatible with the PI 2?
July 13, 2015 06:43PM
If you use the RPi2 image instead of the RPi1 once, you can adapt the manual setup to the RPi2 as well... and for any other board winking smiley

July 13, 2015 07:09PM
wait so is the RPI2 image the one pace put up? and so do we just flash that and then run it or do we use the manual set up steps with the disk image? Sorry im just bit confused when it comes to the manual instructions. Are they for use with a fresh raspbian wheezy install or for the image?
July 13, 2015 07:15PM
the manual steps are for a fresh rasbian wheezy

July 13, 2015 07:32PM
Okay, well i just went through all of them exactly as pace said above then i did a reboot. The pi is connected to power, a WiFi adapter and Ethernet (i have been using putty to control it). now that it is rebooted is it working? do i disconnect the Ethernet? does the piratebox still need a start command or is it started with powerup?
July 13, 2015 11:57PM
Sorry for all the Questions. Im just super eager to see this work. i think what the pirate box community really needs is a tutorial from start to finish. maybe even a video. i understand you are busy but i really appreciate your input and help smileys with beer
July 14, 2015 03:23AM
Okay, after many tutorials (one was in french but quite good.) i am yet to make the image or the manual install work with the RPI2. my question is this: has anyone truly made it work? Admins? Any luck?