Pirate PI3 - 32gb SD card with 26gb mounted for storage = success

Posted by denmah 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Pirate PI3 - 32gb SD card with 26gb mounted for storage = success
September 01, 2016 01:50AM
Hello!, i know there are probably other people doing this, but since i saw in the modded pi article where you can use the SD card extra space as a share, and it says "untested, unverified"

i just wanted to say i got it to work great, thank you very much for all your free stuff and guides.

i cant wait till you guys script it though for ease of use next time though!

mmc partition 4 mounted as SDcard 26gb free on a 32gb samsung card

so pleased this works, for single board and ease of use!

i had to CHMOD the sdcard directories so i could upload a folder structure i wanted
Re: Pirate PI3 - 32gb SD card with 26gb mounted for storage = success
September 01, 2016 05:09PM
Hello,

thank you for the feedback.
New features take time, so at the start such things have to be done by hand.

I'm happy you go it to work, have fun with your box!

Ubuntuhak, playing and tinkering with Ubuntu!
September 02, 2016 06:12AM
Just waiting for my Wipi to arrive so I can use my Zero to build a Piratebox. I was going to use the Mod the expand the SD card and now I know it works there will be no stopping me now.

Should be able to fit a working PirateBox into a match box!!! >grinning smiley<
October 12, 2016 05:57PM
Nice work
Since I was using a pi zero, I didn't want to plug anything into the micro usb port except for the OTG cable and the edimax ew-7722utn v2 wifi adpater (which worked out of the box). If I had used a USB dongle for storage, I would have also had to use a USB hub, or hub cable, and, it would consume more power, albeit not much, but still a bit more.

Since I was already using a samsung evo+ 32gb card, I just wanted to leave the share folder alone, not mess with permissions or mounts, and just expand the root FS to use the remaining 26gb of space on the SD card. You can use parted to expand the root file system, and, that space will now be available to the root FS and the piratebox share... I know, bad practice, uploads could run the root partition out of space, but since I don't plan on long-term storage or usage, and, I just use all piratebox defaults, it is trivial to re-image and keep going, or, drop to single user mode and wipe the share directory. I used the arch linux image on a pi zero, followed the post-install and everything worked exactly as expected. Afterward, I used this guide to resize the root partition. This is a raspberry pi / raspbian guide, but parted and resizing linux partitions is almost universal across all linux distros, including arch, so it works like a charm.

[raspberrypi.stackexchange.com]