Piratebox 1.0.7: pacman -Syu broke ability to allocate IP addresses: "Obtaining IP address"

Posted by petertgarner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
edit: added pastebin link for journal log

I used piratebox_rpi_1.0.7-1.img.zip as per [piratebox.cc]

TL;DR - installed latest Piratebox; updated OS software; Piratebox now broken

I followed the instructions to setup the Pi and confirmed that it worked, and I could connect to it: no problem.

As a sensible netizen I then decided to run a full system upgrade using pacman -Syu: this is a rather large update and took the release to Linux alarmpi 4.4.19-1-ARCH #1 Tue Aug 23 19:29:12 MDT 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux. I then rebooted and the piratebox came back up.

However, on my WiFi device (which has always worked with (piratebox) the WiFi connection is seen but it never connects: instead it just says "Obtaining IP address", then "IP Configuration Failure".

I suspected that a dnsmasq update might be the problem so I re-imaged the SD card with the original, working Piratebox img and rebooted. Then I edit /etc/pacman.conf and added "IgnorePkg = dnsmasq*" and reran pacman -Syu.

Here's a clue, but I'm not sure how to fix it:

Sep 06 10:33:10 alarmpi piratebox_alt[263]: Starting dnsmasq...
Sep 06 10:33:10 alarmpi piratebox_alt[263]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use
Sep 06 10:33:10 alarmpi dnsmasq[288]: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use
Sep 06 10:33:10 alarmpi dnsmasq[288]: FAILED to start up

Comments/hints please?

The full journal log is at [www.petergarner.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2016 01:24PM by petertgarner.
Re: Piratebox 1.0.7: pacman -Syu broke ability to allocate IP addresses: "Obtaining IP address"
September 20, 2016 04:27PM
Hi,
thank you for providing that much of data, that helped alot.
I am not quite sure what your box broke, but the fix for this

Sep 06 10:33:10 alarmpi piratebox_alt[263]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use

would be:

systemctl stop piratebox
systemctl stop dnsmasq
systemctl disable dnsmasq
systemctl start piratebox

that should fix that..

hope that helps,
best regards
Matthias

This is only my signature.
Thanks Matthias!

Much appreciated.. I have put the fix in and everything is now working well.

It makes sense - I need to disable the system dnsmasq which tries to access external servers
but the Piratebox handles it properly on startup.

I found that if I then connected my Ethernet cable to run other updates I needed to stop
the Piratebox dnsmasq to get to the "regular" Internet. That's no problem though!

As always, thanks for a great piece of software!
Re: Piratebox 1.0.7: pacman -Syu broke ability to allocate IP addresses: "Obtaining IP address"
September 26, 2016 06:53PM
Thank you for the feedback, I added an entry at the RPi troubleshooting section: [piratebox.cc]

best regards Matthias