Enable Internet Connection after manual installing the piratebox

Posted by pascalmayr 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Enable Internet Connection after manual installing the piratebox
September 12, 2016 12:18PM
Hello,
i am a student and i built with my friend a piratebox for my class. Now we have two wifi signals in our classroom. One from the piratebox and another one which connects us to the web. Can anyone explain me if it is possible to share with the piratebox also the connection to the web from an ethernet cable ...like a normal hotspot...and use the piratebox too? smiling smiley

Thank you for your answer smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 12:21PM by pascalmayr.
Re: Enable Internet Connection after manual installing the piratebox
September 12, 2016 06:19PM
Hi,

do you have administrator rights on the school's router? This would include changing the settings on the primary router.

Ubuntuhak, playing and tinkering with Ubuntu!
September 12, 2016 06:22PM
Sorry i forgot to write that i've built the piratebox with my raspberry pi 3 smiling smiley And there i have root rights smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 06:23PM by pascalmayr.
September 12, 2016 09:17PM
Sorry, maybe I have misunderstood the question. The Raspberry Pi broadcasts both WiFi signals or there is a "school router" that gives you internet?
Do you want to access the Piratebox from the school WiFi by connecting the school router to the Raspberry Pi?

September 12, 2016 09:26PM
Sorry that i've not good explained my situation. Yes there is a school router which provides the second wifi signal and which has the possibility to connect also an ethernet cable smiling smiley I want to connect the Raspberry Pi (the Piratebox) to the school router so that the Piratebox could provide to all the clients (from the Piratebox) the connection to the Internet from the school router smiling smiley. Short: take the Internet connection from the school router and provide it with the piratebox (but the piratebox should work too) smiling smiley .

Thank you that you help me smiling smiley
September 15, 2016 08:50PM
It is tricky.
By default PirateBox redirects all traffic to a single site.You would need to split traffic and send some to the internet and e.g. piratebox.lan to the piratebox. At this point you are getting into turning PirateBox into a website.

I'm not even sure how to go about bridging the Ethernet and WiFi interface of the Piratebox, but specify that not all traffic should be bridged. Maybe some selective captive portal solution or similar could work.

September 15, 2016 10:01PM
Okay i understand. Thank you for your help smiling smiley