Using external router instead of internal WIFI on Raspberry PI 3.

Posted by kristofferorum 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Using external router instead of internal WIFI on Raspberry PI 3.
April 12, 2017 08:28PM
Dear all,
I hope you can help me to figure out how to use an external router instead of, or as a supplement to, the internal WLAN0 on a Raspberry PI 3. I need the "horsepower" of the pi for scripts, but also the range of a router (TP-Link AC1750), and I wonder if just disabling DHCP on the router might do the trick? I don't have the hardware as of yet, but as I'm under a tight deadline any hints as to how to go about this would be greatly appreciated....
All the Best,
Kristoffer
Re: Using external router instead of internal WIFI on Raspberry PI 3.
April 13, 2017 04:47AM
Hi,
yes, this is possible. PirateBox was designed to have the possibility to work like this.

But, I can not give you a valid howto with commands of the top of my head. I can say what you have to do:

Disable DHCP on your router
Change the router's IP to 192.168.77.254 (or 192.168.77.2)
remove udev rule; sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/99-wifi.rules
enable piratebox service to bootup; sudo systemctl enable piratebox
Disable dhcp on eth0 ; (I don't know what to do here, possibly systemctl disable systemd-networkd.service ; see [wiki.archlinux.org] )
Changes in /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf
USE_APN="yes" -> USE_APN="no"
DNSMASQ_INTERFACE="wlan0" -> DNSMASQ_INTERFACE="eth0"
INTERFACE="wlan0" -> INTERFACE="eth0"

If you stick to systemd-networkd and do the static IP configuration there, you need to disable the IP setup step in PirateBox via piratebox.conf
DO_IFCONFIG="yes" -> DO_IFCONFIG="no"

These are all thing, which came to my mind.. I hope I haven't forgotten something.

Hope that helps
best regards Matthias