Problem with uploading files via Piratebox mobile

Posted by cloudybear 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Problem with uploading files via Piratebox mobile
May 13, 2017 06:18PM
Setup: Raspberry pi 3
- installed from piratebox_rpi2_1.1.3-1-19-03-2017.img

Just wondering if this is a common problem, or some settings issue. When accessing Piratebox web ui on my Pixel mobile phone. I'm unable to upload files. I click the "Choose Files", and it wouldn't do any thing. Browsing files and chatting works just fine. Thanks advance for the help!
Re: Problem with uploading files via Piratebox mobile
May 13, 2017 09:22PM
Hi,
never heard of it before. Maybe related to the smartphone.
Piratebox uses the normal File-Upload form and on 1.x no fancy JS... so must be smartphone related. probably.

The normal desktop works?

best regards Matthias
May 14, 2017 07:22AM
Yea, it's odd. On the Google Pixel, the notification to "Sign in to network" redirects to [piratebox.lan] might be the issue. Testing on an iPad seem to work fine with file upload.

On the Google Pixel Chrome browser, I can't even seem to get to [piratebox.lan] for some odd reason. So I'm assuming for most mobile phones, the mobile upload works? I ask since I don't have many phones to test with.
May 14, 2017 08:56AM
I do not have a recent Android phone, so I can not test it as well.
I think, you have to make sure that you are accessing the piratebox website via HTTP and not HTTPS. This means, entering google.com to be redirect will not work, because the chrome browser will take httpS automatically.
Use something different like "aaaa.com" or enter directly
Language: PHP
http://aaaa.com
That should work with the redirect.

I am not sure, it might be related to the captive portal notification that the upload does not work. It is possible that using the browser manually will not have an upload issue. The upload issue can also be related to the fact, that the Pixel is assuming that it is connected to a limited network (and disables some features).

Mh,
best regards
Matthias
May 14, 2017 06:09PM
Ah Thanks. You're right about that captive portal notification browser that the upload doesn't work in. Eh, well that'll suck for people with Pixel phones then, Oh well. The way I had to get around it, was there was some option at the top right to "Use network as is", so I wouldn't have the "Sign into network" option. Using Chrome on mobile allowed me to upload.

Thanks for the advice!
May 14, 2017 07:48PM
For iOS devices we answer request from the Operating System, that the client does not drop off the network. We implemented something similar for Android too, but that does not seem to work. :-(
This might be the reason, why you have to approve for staying in the offline network.

Mh. Unfortunately I do not have a recent android phone for debugging this :-(

edit:
some more information about the detection: [www.chromium.org]

We implemented the script, that should send an empty answer: [github.com]

And my latest test with
Language: PHP
http://piratebox.lan/generate_204
showed a HTTP-RC 204 with an empty respone. Any domain is resolved to the current piratebox IP, so it does not matter what the URL is.

I am wondering what we are missing here...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 07:56PM by Matthias.