[Pi Zero W] New install doesn't get past splash screen

Posted by marchehare 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
[Pi Zero W] New install doesn't get past splash screen
July 13, 2017 07:06AM
Just got done setting up my PB using a Raspberry Pi Zero W. Placed the image on the SD card, plugged it into power and DVI, The splashscreen showed up, but it never gets past that. I thought maybe it was just going to take a little bit with the lower speed of the Zero W, but after 20 minutes it still hadn't gotten past the splashscreen. Ended up plugging the card into a Pi 3 and it worked there, so it doesn't appear to have been an issue with the image, unless the image needs to be configured for the Zero W?

Previous experience with PBs is in setting up an android phone with the app.
Re: [Pi Zero W] New install doesn't get past splash screen
July 13, 2017 05:36PM
Hi,
you need to use the image for RPi1 & RPi2 for the Pi0.
The image of RPi3 is not compatible with the older and smaller Pi models.

best regards
Matthias
July 17, 2017 06:26PM
That would do it. I missed that when scanning the HowTo. There doesn't happen to be a direct download for that one, does there? If not then I'll just have to install BitTorrent when I get home.
July 17, 2017 11:34PM
July 18, 2017 03:36AM
In fact, there is only a torrent link, but no direct download.
A few years ago, I were forced to remove the direct download because of traffic reasons. The direct download link for the RP3 is a sponsored one.
July 20, 2017 05:34AM
With the new image written to the SD card I plugged it in and it gets to the alarmpi login prompt, and says "random: crng init done". Much further than I got before, but it doesn't seem to be installing the wireless driver as there's no "PirateBox" network available to connect to. Do I have to manually install the wifi driver or something? The other image hadn't required that (though it also didn't boot on a Zero W).
July 20, 2017 05:47PM
No, if it is a ZeroW the Wifi should come up automatically. If it is a Zero only, you need to add a compatible USB Wifi card.
July 22, 2017 09:14PM
Finally got an adapter so I could connect a keyboard to it. Logged in, but still no network. Did some research and found out that there's a known issue with Zero Ws not recognizing the bluetooth or Wifi. Going to see if I can pull the driver from the PI 3 image, as it's the same hardware
July 23, 2017 05:23AM
And that didn't work. Can't access the needed folder from inside the PirateBox OS. Can't access it from my windows box. Can't access it from my Chromebook. Tried to access it from inside the image file, and it tells me the image is corrupt. Already tried redownloading, same error. Don't really know what's left to try. in the meantime I'm deleting the .torrent and the data/image file, and going to try again. Third time and all that.
July 23, 2017 08:00AM
You are aware of the fact, that the .torrent file is online an index for getting the download via bittorrent easier, aren't you?
The sounds strange, because my ZeroW worked out. Can you give me some reference links to the issue?
July 28, 2017 06:04AM
Right. Open the .torrent, it launches BitTorrent which downloads the file. Burn the file to the SD card and you get a directory (and about 4 partitions Windows can't read, one of which holds the driver for the wifi card).

Here's the link I found. [github.com]

Their advice involves plugging the disk into another PI (a 3, as it has the same hardware). Problem is that doesn't work with PirateBox because the images aren't cross compatible.
July 28, 2017 05:39PM
Ok, there is something totally wrong:

(and about 4 partitions Windows can't read, one of which holds the driver for the wifi card).
!

PirateBox image will create 2 partitions. One partition is a FAT image, which should be readable under windows.

best regards
Matthias