How to increase wireless speed?

Posted by unknowngerman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
How to increase wireless speed?
July 18, 2017 01:12PM
Hello,

I am currently using Pi Zero W with latest PirateBox 1.1.3 version. My upload and download speed from the Pi is not satisfying so what I would like to know is, if it is possible to increase the speed? will adding an antenna only increase the signal or also speed? Also like can I use wireless AC USB dongle? Is there a guide for that cause I cant seem to find it.

Thanks devs for PirateBox!! Greetings!! smileys with beer
Re: How to increase wireless speed?
July 18, 2017 01:39PM
Never mind! Found it!! grinning smiley but still would like to know the answer about the antenna.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2017 01:41PM by unknowngerman.
July 18, 2017 05:29PM
The signal strengh is increased with swapping the antenna.. be aware, that you have to follow local rules of maximum wifi mWatt output.
But, keep in mind, that you can not increase the antenna infinitive. If the antenna signal is very strong, smartphones might be answer on the beacon to login to tha AP. .. but the smartphone signal is too weak that the AP can see an answer.

A slightly bigger antenna will increase signal and maybe download speed.
On upload speed you can not do much about that... it is directly related to the performance of the usb stick.

Somebody on reddit did a write up of his experiences: [www.reddit.com]
July 18, 2017 07:37PM
Oh yeah totally forgot about the USB 2.0 speed. Was still thinking I am on USB 3.0. I think it will be fine for chatting and small file sharing. Gonna start taking it out and check how many people connect grinning smiley
July 18, 2017 08:32PM
I would also like to know how to delete the uploaded files? If there is a guide please provide link confused smiley I am totally new here so I have no idea.
Thanks!
smileys with beer
July 19, 2017 03:56AM
You find all uploaded files in
/opt/piratebox/share/Shared
To remove files from there, run something like this
sudo rm /opt/piratebox/share/Shared/file.jpg

Linux bash cheat sheet
I personally found it much more useful when editing the Files on the piratebox to upgrade alarm to an admin on the piratebox (instructions elsewhere on the forum) then use Filezilla to connect with the alarm acount (same as ssh but you can easily see, upload, download, and delete files.

Great for beginners though takes a few steps to get there.
Conversely, you can also do as Matthias suggested Here