Can't ssh remotely into piratebox

Posted by floorwax 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Can't ssh remotely into piratebox
July 23, 2017 02:36AM
Only way can ssh into the pirate box is by hooking up an hdmi cable and a keyboard.
I can't seem to log into the raspberry pi remotely at all!
I have tried 192.168.77.1, I have tried looking up my ip with ifconfig and getting 192.168.34.1
in all cases that I I get a connection refused!

I had no router to hook up to so went computer to computer with an ethernet cable and that did not work so that is why I just hooked up a keyboard and monitor. I have gone ahead via that keyboard and monitor and set a different password, turned on the forum and all that jazz.

I see an ap I can connect to it, I can use it, but there is no way to administer the site remotely via ssh, I always get connection refused.
I'm logging in via the AP, running putty, selecting ssh bubble..Typing alarm@alarmpi, alarm@192.168.77.1, all of course shoot me back with can not resolve domain or something. Typing 192.168.77.1 by its self gives me a connection refused.
What must I change in a config or in the setup to be able to log in remotely via ssh through the AP?

Thank you !
ps. Running 1.1.3, via piratebox_rpi_1.1.3-1-19-03-2017.img, on 2011 original raspberry pi, and edimax wifi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 02:43AM by floorwax.
Re: Can't ssh remotely into piratebox
July 23, 2017 08:08AM
Hi,
is there the possibility, that you have configured a static IP address on your wifi interface, because that:

I have tried 192.168.77.1, I have tried looking up my ip with ifconfig and getting 192.168.34.1
in all cases that I I get a connection refused!
Sounds like *your client* is having 192.168.34.1 , and of course if you try that IP, you end up with a connection refused, because you try to ssh yourself and not the PirateBox.

I had no router to hook up to so went computer to computer with an ethernet cable and that did not work
Yes, the ethernet port is not configured to handle out IP Adresses but work as a normal client. So there is the need to configure your computer to hand out IPs that you can connect with the Pi. Sounds weird, but for an easy setup, this is the easiest way in a normal setup with an available router.
For a setup without a router, you need monitor&keyboard OR a working wifi setup on the Pi right from start (which is usually the case).

After resolving my question about the static IP from above:
If you are using putty, try:
- Entering the IP only
- double check that you did not setup a default login name in Putty configuration
- User is alarm , which then can type in during establishing the connection

What must I change in a config or in the setup to be able to log in remotely via ssh through the AP?
Is enabled per default.

ps. Running 1.1.3, via piratebox_rpi_1.1.3-1-19-03-2017.img, on 2011 original raspberry pi, and edimax wifi
Can you specify the edimax stick together with its version number (small little sticker somewhere). ?

best regards
Matthias
1. enter the IP