RPi0W vs. RPi3B

Posted by pshock13 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
RPi0W vs. RPi3B
September 02, 2017 10:19AM
So, I'm looking into dedicating a pi to piratebox. I currently have it running just fine on a RPi0W, though I've not been able to test it with many users connected as of yet.

I plan on having the pi in a black box (either a zero or a 3 could fit in comfortably).
My question is, would the difference in cpu (single core 1ghz vs quad core 1.2 ghz) or the ram (512mb vs 1Gb) really matter for this?
If the Zero can handle a decent load i'll just get another (the one I have running piratebox is actually already part of another project) since the zero is so much cheaper than a Pi3.

The other thing is if I get a Pi zero, I'll need to solder a header on in order to use an IR shutdown PHat. How easy/hard is it to screw up the board from soldering? I've only soldered a few times before and it was never on a circuit board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 10:22AM by pshock13.
Re: RPi0W vs. RPi3B
September 02, 2017 08:41PM
According to the performance, I do not expect big differences in up- and download speed, because the limiting factor is the SDCard in the most cases.
Re: RPi0W vs. RPi3B
October 18, 2017 11:38PM
> The other thing is if I get a Pi zero, I'll need
> to solder a header on in order to use an IR
> shutdown PHat. How easy/hard is it to screw up the
> board from soldering? I've only soldered a few
> times before and it was never on a circuit board.

So for the pi zero you can buy so gpio pins that just fit into the holes on the pi. You can then either solder that on or do something else to secure the pins in. once you do that you can put a female ended jumper cable onto the pin so you dont have to solder. Then connect the male side to your button. Also see this [forum.piratebox.cc] post about how to create a button.