RaspberryPI USB wifi compatibility list

Posted by Matthias 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
RaspberryPI USB wifi compatibility list
January 23, 2013 07:00AM
Hi,
I just started to write down wifi cards known as working with RaspberryPI in AccesPoint mode.

piratebox.aod-rpg.de - Raspberry wifi

Comment about that here.

Matthias
Re: RaspberryPI USB wifi compatibility list
January 24, 2013 06:44PM
Add Alpha AWUS036NH working out of the box. In fact almost anything from alpha should work.

I have 2 other usb adapters that I can try a little bit later.
January 24, 2013 07:26PM
k, thanks. Added
Hello Mathias - It worked great with a Widemac USB 2.0 150 MBps 801.11N adapter. This adapter has the Ralink rt3270 chip. However, for your 2012-12-16 version of Raspian with Piratebox, I had to change the hostapd.conf file under /opt/piratebox/conf to the following:

interface=wlan0
#driver=nl80211
ssid=piratebox: free share
hw_mode=g
channel=1
auth_algs=1
wmm_enabled=0
#ieee80211n=1

Although I have to admit that I don't know if all of the above options/disabled options are necessary. But with this changed configuration file, it works fine.

Thanks so much!
Mark
February 26, 2013 05:30AM
I'm wondering that this works without the commands, but ok, I added the instructions to the wiki.

Thank you for the feedback.
Later found out that the Widemac works fine without making changes to the hostapd.conf file. The reason for my confusion is because of the wlan ip address issue that causes the pirate box to work about half the time it is started up. Piratebox worked after making the changes to hostapd.conf but it turned out to be the somewhat random behavior of getting an ip address or not during startup.

Also, sorry for the typos in my preceding posting - it is an 802.11N adapter (not 801.11N) and the chipset is rt5370. The thing that attracted me to the usb adapter is the price - about 7 US dollars at Amazon (of course it varies depending on availability and the market). It seems to work fine without a usb hub.

Thanks,
Mark
March 31, 2013 11:14AM
Can you please post the exact name or an amazon link.

About the IP-Problem, there is a bet-fix for that: [forum.daviddarts.com]
The one I got has the following name at Amazon:

"USB 802.11n 150m Wifi Wireless Lan Network Card Adapter"

The packaging doesn't identify a model number. A search in Amazon for "usb adapter rt5370" will bring up some related products - some with an external antenna. Another example of the same adapter but from a different supplier that describes the specs in more detail is:

"Ralink RT5370 Wifi Network Adapter Black USB 2.0 802.11n 150M WiFi Wireless Lan Network Card Adapter SL-1507N hot"

Thanks - will try your fix to the ip address issue soon.

Mark
April 12, 2013 08:52AM
The 'WIPI' adapter from cpc.co.uk works straight out of the box. Mine has FCC ID: OYR-COMFAST88 written on it.
April 12, 2013 09:16AM
Thanks for sharing this!
I added it to the wiki
Re: RaspberryPI USB wifi compatibility list (PC Also)
April 29, 2013 01:39PM
Just wanted to thank you guys for putting alot of time into this project. Ive been working on a piratebox project
for a about a month already, bricked a tp-link 3220 and succesfully installed PirateBox on my pc work under
ubuntu 13.04. ill post my laptop specs when i get to my room and i also wanted to post a USB Dongle that works.

TENDA W541U V2.0

im currently in afghahnistan and set up a moral harddrive under piratebox: share freely and share this with about
34 people. Im still trying to figure out the whole Kahera board thing. I also ordered a AWUS036NH to cover the
entire 60 foot long tent i sleep in, the last guy stream video at 90kb/s (not bad)

Thank you in advance
Sgt.Jaeger

PS: im working on a project you guys will like. ill post pics and specs after im done.
April 29, 2013 02:04PM
May 07, 2013 03:58PM
Hey Matthias;

Just got my TP-LINK TL-WN722N. Everything looks fine and no error but i dont see my SSID.
Any suggestion?

SGT.Jaeger
May 07, 2013 07:26PM
And PirateBox scripts are running?

Please check: ps ax

you should see lighttpd, dnsmasq and hostapd somewhere in the list

Which RPi-Model do you have?
May 08, 2013 10:55AM
Got the TL-WN722N to work. The issue was the BELKING F5U237 USB HUB i bought. it appear the TL-WN722N doesnt like the
power supply the HUB come with but, the TL-WN722N works fine with the HUB and no power supply. Ill post the LSUSB later after work so you can take a look at it for future reference, and any other info you would like to see.
Hallo Matthias,

D-Link dwl-g122 is working right out of the box, without hub on my pi.

cheers,
Klaus
June 11, 2013 09:06PM
Thank you for your feedback!
I added it to the compatibility list. thumbs up
June 13, 2013 11:43AM
Hi,

TP-LINK TL-WN723N not working properly.
Installed everything and configured hostapd with the custom git of Realtek.
I can see the SSID but the network doesn't assign ip address to clients

Any suggestions?
June 27, 2013 08:50PM
currently toying with a TL-WN822N

"TL-WN822N v2 (ath9k_htc) works on ArchLinuxARM, with powered USB Hub. Successfully tested hostapd/dnsmasq." is what the rpi verified periferals says.

Currently the rpi can see it and has an ip assigned in "ifconfig" but no ssid at the moment.

It is listed in LSUSB and will hopefully get it working later on. smiling smiley
it's working fine with a hercules hwgusb2-54-v2
i have an issue with lighttpd but wifi is connected
October 24, 2013 08:58PM
what issue do you have? Does the webpage open? Or what is not working?
October 27, 2013 10:46PM
I got the TL-WN725N USB-stub to work, with a few edits.

From these instructions, steps 5 and 6 only:
[www.raspberrypi.org]

..rebuild the binary for hostapd, then change the "driver=" line in /opt/piratebox/conf/hostapd.conf to the specified driver.

Works fine after that; main challenge I'm facing now is changing to USB storage to avoid r/w wear and storage limits on the sd card..
Hi guys,
I'm completely new to this and as a student I'm pretty strapped for cash. Could anyone point me to the best priced USB wifi that will give me the ap capability that's needed without any editing of any files?
Also is host pad already installed on the raspberry pi image that's this site supplies?
Thanks for your time grinning smiley
stefan
June 10, 2014 02:31PM
I tried with a belkin n150 (RT2870 chipset) and didn't have a lot of luck. Supposedly works out of the box with Raspian. I was able to get it to turn on by modifying the hostapd.conf but thats about the extent of it.
June 19, 2014 12:12PM
I tried TP-Link WN725N and a WN823N both from a powered hub and had no success.

Then I ordered myself a WN722N and it worked oob!

BTW or better not BTW thanks for all the energy you people put into this project. Love it!
June 23, 2014 09:05AM
I have my RaspberryPi PirateBox running for quite a while now with a TP-Link TL-WN822N,
didn't even need adjustments - just plugged in and worked!
June 24, 2014 06:20PM
Thanks for the feedback. I added it to the compatibility list.

This is only my signature.
July 09, 2014 04:12PM
The LB-Link BL-LW05AR5 (as seen on [www.adafruit.com]) is not compatible with the Arch Linux distribution. However, I do have the drivers. But also have no Arch Linux compiling experience.

Source code:

RTL8188CUS_linux_v3.0.2164.20110715.zip 6.4 MB [mega.co.nz]
July 10, 2014 09:10PM
@Yakov: Not compatible? We'll see about that tongue sticking out smiley
Hi,

LB-Link WirelessUSB Adapter, 150Mbps (Model: BL-LW05-5R1) works out of the box). Many thanks for PB-development - nice stuff!

I ordered this one at conrad.de and get the one above. Don't know why. It works.