Piratebox and Wikipedia
August 29, 2015 09:16AM
Hi,

I was wondering about something. As the piratebox is on USB stick, will it possible to have like a wikipedia file on it, so that people that would connect to the piratebox would be able to search on this offline wikipedia? I have heard about Kiwix but I don't think that works on a piratebox. Plus, I'm not sure that the MR3040 router that I have would be able to handle such a file. But I just wanted to now...

Thanks
Re: Piratebox and Wikipedia
August 29, 2015 02:42PM
as long as you can run a mediawiki server and dump wikipedia on a usb you can do it. You can search for a mediawiki servers and find some alternatives, then search this list of packages for these software and see what is required to run them on Openwrt which is the base of Piratebox.
September 01, 2015 07:28PM
Thanks a lot! I don't really understand how to do that, and didn't find anything about mediawiki and openwrt. But don't worry about that, because it seems that I would not be able to do it anyway!

Best
September 28, 2015 01:10PM
Look at this : [m.mediawiki.org]
October 04, 2015 08:09AM
Thanks Damavox,

I had a lot of problem making my piratebox to work, so, even though I would love to test your link, as I'm a noob, I don't want to mess my piratebox! Its above my comptecences!

Best
October 18, 2018 12:03PM
Hi! I so interested in this topic. I work in a high school in argentina, and will be great if somebody tell me how we can run a kiwix in a Piratebo. (Sorry about my english, its terrible!)
I´m not a programer, but a can follow a tutoria very well. I have a pirate box in a TP Link 3020.
If somebody knows how I can run a kiwix wikipedia in my piratebox, I will be so happy!
Thank you!!
By
July 20, 2019 10:45PM
I don't knwo fi anyone ever solved this, but the best solution I have found on the lighter side (tp-link, gl-net, etc)(meaning not a raspberry pi, PC, android), was this guys site Cheap and low power server with Wikipedia and his github code is here - https://github.com/waynepiekarski/zimHttpServer32]Github for zimHttpServer and missing mips binaries[/url]
Valence
July 23, 2019 10:10PM
Is there a tutorial for getting Kiwix installed on Piratebox? It seems like a really simple and useful addition to the base package.