Long range Piratebox with 5V power (or with battery)
May 21, 2016 08:33AM
Hi,

I would like to build a battery-powered (or 5V USB powered so I can use a power bank) Piratebox with as big range as possible. My aim is to broadcast Wifi network on a non-sports public event with several thousands of people gathered in one place (stadium or big hall). The hardware page suggests to use TP-Link TL-MR3020 but it doesn't seem to be very powerful and it doesn't include option to install an external antenna (I saw a topic about soldering one onto it, but unfortunately I'm not very good at hardware hacks).

What hardware would you suggest? Do you have any experience with portable long-range routers that are compatible with Piratebox? Thanks in advance!
Re: Long range Piratebox with 5V power (or with battery)
May 29, 2016 07:34AM
Usually all portable routers do not have an external antenna. :-(

Remember: Sending out a strong signal does not mean that you can reach a broad audience. It is like shouting in a canyon. The people below may hear you, but you can't hear the answer. This also applies to wifi signals. The communication partner needs to send back in the same strength for a reliable connection.

Up to a certain level you can get a farer range, because -especially with directional antennas- you have a clearer inbound signal, but it still may not work well.