How to fix PirateBox release 1.1.1 quick update broken devices

Posted by Dracc 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
So I broke my install with the 1.1.1 quick update last night. What do I need to do recover? I reformatted my USB stick, so do I have to use the failsafe to get the installation to run on boot?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2016 06:34PM by Matthias.
Re: How to fix PirateBox release 1.1.1 quick update broken devices
October 05, 2016 06:45PM
So, if you did the quick update from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 and deleted the complete content of your USB stick, then you can do the following trick which is possible since 1.1.0:

* Power off your PirateBox
* Take you USB stick to your computer
* Copy over the expanded install folder to your USB stick (take care the folders are not dublicate)
* Create a folder called "auto_flash"
* Copy the corresponding image to your device from stable.openwrt.piratebox.de into the auto_flash folder
* Savely remove the USB stick from your computer
* Put the USB stick to your PirateBox
* Power your PirateBox online

That will reflash the device automatically with the new image file. Then will do several reboots to install the needed packages.

Give it a try. If it won't work as you would expect, let me know, then we need to do additional debugging.

best regards
Matthias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 07:32PM by Matthias.
October 06, 2016 03:49AM
This method solved the problem. The first attempt didn't work(not sure why) but after running through steps a second time it installed correctly. Thanks!
February 20, 2017 11:37PM
So after I use the auto_flash feature and get everything up and running, should I delete the auto_flash folder to save space and prevent reflashing every time?
February 21, 2017 05:18AM
the files in auto_flash are renamed to prevent reflashing in a loop.
You can remove the folder.