PirateBox and TL-MR3040

Posted by bfpa40 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PirateBox and TL-MR3040
October 25, 2016 01:43AM
Im trying to install PirateBox on the TP-Link TL-MR3040 and everything I try fails. Using the instructions on [piratebox.cc] DOESNT WORK. I notice while doing the following command:

b) Run the following command to start the setup-menu
box_init_setup.sh

The next window that appears reflect 4 Options but Options #3 and #4 dont seem to be available. Is this normal?
The 2 are: FTP configuration not available
minidlna not available

This was suppose to be a quick and easy install i seem to have the openwrt installed its the pirate box portion that is kicking my ass.

Can anyone help? Suggestions...???

-Brian-
Re: PirateBox and TL-MR3040
October 26, 2016 05:30PM
To confirm if something of the installation really worked, please post the output of the commands listed here: Technical summary

thank you,
best regards Matthias
October 28, 2016 07:27PM
The resulting output is to large please advice as to how to send a file and I will do it that way.
October 28, 2016 08:43PM
I too have a mr3040... I sometime got problems when I'm not patient enough!!! Perhaps you could try again the upgrade procedure like explained here. Be careful to put only the Custom OpenWrt file first. Then when you're done with the procedure, copy the install piratebox folder. And wait for a good 20 minutes, depending of your usb stick. When you see no more activity, that the lights are all on and that you can see the PirateBox wifi appearing on a smartphone for example, then you're good to go.
February 11, 2017 09:01AM
Hi, I would love to bump this to the top if possible. I got a flash of insight a while ago and searched google for "wireless dead drop". What did I find? Piratebox. I was instantly romanced by the thought of having my own little pocket wireless server for sharing of movies, series, books etc. I really wanted to leave it in my truck most of the time so people in the neighborhoods I frequent might happen upon a neat little wireless easter-egg. I'll spare you the story of how long it took after I ordered to receive my TP-link MR-3040 v2.3 and cruizer fit 64gb. I happily hurried home from the post office this morning excited about getting it up and running. It couldn't be harder than installing dd-wrt on my linksys WRT1900ACS, and routing my local traffic through a VPN, could it?
I followed the instructions using my Win7 machine. When I got to the step about connecting to telnet or ssh it wouldn't work. So I decided to make sure my USB drive was FAT32 and not exFAT. As I was formatting I realized from reading the troubleshooting section I should be setting my IP to static (that's why telnet and ssh didn't work). I used the HPUSBDisk.exe utility which is supposed to have formatted it right, and started changing my ipv4 settings to 192.168.1.2 every time I switched to the pirate network.
Long story short I have flashed the firmware a number of times using the sysupgrade command from USB file. That works. I know to put just the .bin file first, let it reboot several times, THEN extract the .zip to USB. The last time I made sure I waited a few hours where it says 45 min. It doesn't seem to be installing any longer. I telnet in every time, change the password, set the time, and log into SSH. I can't execute any of the post install commands. Looking at the examples and the troubleshooting section, I tried it all, kept logs, and have a pastebin for those who would help me figure this out. I guess I should have bought the cheap one first.
Even though I have somehow been able to flash the firmware from USB through the terminal several times, the piratebox folders on the USB don't show up, Kareha and UPNP commands don't work, and even the prompt looks like "root@a4T6dgZT:~#". I've never had this much trouble voiding my warranty. Thank you in advance if anyone has any insight, I'll buy you a beer if you're ever in Eastern Montana USA. Unit is currently off and ready if anyone needs any additional info, etc.

Here is the output of the usb directory structure: pastebin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 03:56AM by MasterL.
February 20, 2017 08:54PM
Solved in IRC.

Issue was a flashed wrongly firmware.
Advised to use auto_flash firmware: [forum.piratebox.cc]

Sorry for the late response,
Best regards
Matthias

This is only my signature.
February 20, 2017 11:14PM
Thank very much to Matthias for solving, auto_flash is good for this issue.