MR-3040 v2.5 - Password Doesn't Work after Option 1 to Password and Activate SSH

Posted by SirMegabyte 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
MR-3040 v2.5 - Password Doesn't Work after Option 1 to Password and Activate SSH
December 18, 2016 04:22AM
Two times now I have I followed the directions for pre-installation. I start the post-installation instructions. I am able to Telnet in and run box_init_setup.sh. However, when trying to do "/opt/piratebox/bin/board-autoconf.sh" it doesn't work. So, I tried to use Putty to SSH into the box (via ethernet cable). I used the "ssh root@192.168.1.1". It connects and asks for my password. Every time I try to enter the password it says "Access denied". I thought the first time I must have messed up putting in the password or something, so after a lot of looking, I found info to reflash it and re-installed so I could put in the password again. Exact same problem. I guess I need more detailed instructions when to use Telnet and when to SSH. When to run the command to activate the board. Here has been my sequence of events. Please correct where I am going wrong.

Post-Installation (running from Windows PC, so...)
1. run Putty Telnet 192.168.1.1
2. run "box_init_setup.sh"
3. option 1
4. option 2 (enter date and time)
5. enter to exit

After this I try step 2. from the Post-Installation. However, when I enter "/opt/piratebox/bin/board-autoconf.sh" it tells me it can't find it. So, I tried to disconnect Putty and run Putty in SSH with "ssh root@192.168.1.1". It prompts for a password. I enter the password I entered twice a few minutes before (password is upper and lower case alphabet and numbers). It tells me "Access denied". By the way, the Piratebox becomes operational and you can connect to it via wi-fi and web browser. I just can't get back into it to get the board setup or the UPnP media server. Thank you for any help you can offer.

SirMegabyte
Re: MR-3040 v2.5 - Password Doesn't Work after Option 1 to Password and Activate SSH
December 20, 2016 08:25PM
Hi,
I am confused.
When you write "use putty with root@192.168.1.1", does that work?
I guess you can only enter an IP and use username & password later - or am I wrong? (Sry, I only use command line)

"/opt/piratebox/bin/board-autoconf.sh" with or without quotes.

Before you do the finalization steps (and loos connection), can you post the commands listed here plz [piratebox.cc]

thank you,
Matthias
Hi, Matthias. Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I am using Windows 10 to do this, which is why I am using Putty (as recommended in the guide). See below for my responses.

Matthias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> I am confused.
> When you write "use putty with root@192.168.1.1",
> does that work?
> I guess you can only enter an IP and use username
> & password later - or am I wrong? (Sry, I only use
> command line)

When you run Putty, it gives you a text box to enter Host Name (or IP address). This is followed by a text box for the port, which is automatically adjusted by selecting radio buttons below it for Raw, Telnet, Rlogin, SSH or Serial. You then click on the "Open" button to initiate the connection. It opens a terminal window and asks for your password without giving you an option to enter a username.

>
> "/opt/piratebox/bin/board-autoconf.sh" with or
> without quotes.
>
Without quotes. I used quotes to show the actual command entered.

> Before you do the finalization steps (and loos
> connection), can you post the commands listed here
> plz
> [piratebox.cc]
> ical_summary

So, steps 2 and 3 worked (/opt/piratebox/bin/board-autoconf.sh and cp /opt/piratebox/src/openwrt.example.minidlna /mnt/ext/etc/config/minidlna) when I used the commands prior to using option 1 of the setup (setting password and starting ssh/disabling Telnet). However, I still do not have access to Piratebox (after setting up the password) using terminal because of the issue above (when I use Putty to try to access using SSH it asks for my password and tells Access denied). I will have to wipe it and set it up again to get the technical output since I can't terminal into it. I will work on this shortly and post in the next few days.

Thanks again for all the help.

SirMegabyte
Re: MR-3040 v2.5 - Password Doesn't Work after Option 1 to Password and Activate SSH
December 21, 2016 05:33AM
On my putty, I can not enter <username>@IP.

I need to enter the IP and the very first prompt is a login prompt. If you do not receive the login prompt, please check out your connection details: Connection->data ; do not choose "use system username" but change it to "prompt" and empty out the "auto-login username".

That might help with the putty connection issue.

best regards Matthias
I just checked the settings you mentioned (Connection->data ; do not choose "use system username" but change it to "prompt" and empty out the "auto-login username"). My settings were the same (I didn't change anything). I figured I would give it one more try since I had Putty up. So, I went back to the Session portion and logged on using SSH. I don't know why, but this time it asked me for my username. I entered root and then entered my password when it asked. And it let me log in. Thanks for your time and help!

SirMegabyte