PB on MR3040 v1 - So much issue and prob bricked my unit

Posted by colin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PB on MR3040 v1 - So much issue and prob bricked my unit
January 03, 2017 11:19AM
Hi There

Really really need help.
Let me start from the beginning..
I got an old MR3040 v1 laying around and wanted to try this OpenWRT and Piratebox setup.
So I went to [piratebox.cc] and follow instructions
Downloaded the "squashfs-factory.bin" firmware from [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de].
Made sure I got the right one - v1 version (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3040-v1-squashfs-factory.bin)
Went to MR3040 setup page and flash the firmware using the downloaded squashfs file.

After rebooting the MR3040...that is where things started to go wrong
Couldn't install Piratebox using USB.../mnt/usb cannot be found
then I read in the forum that maybe my firmware is not correct
Since I cannot use the USB method, so SSH into my unit and did a wget [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de]
then I mtd -r write openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3040-v1-squashfs-factory.bin firmware

After rebooting, that is when shit happened.
Now when I SSH to the MR3040, it prompts me for username and password
Previously I did not set a password
I tried root / root & admin / admin ...nothing seem to work!! I can't get in now.

Oh man...did I just killed my MR3040
Please help....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 02:11PM by colin.
Re: PB on MR3040 v1 - So much issue and prob bricked my unit
January 12, 2017 05:47PM
Hi,
after reflashing, your password is reset and you need to use telnet.

Then, please be aware of issues with USB sticks. Did you verify, that your usb stick appears as /dev/sda1?

best regards
Matthias
January 28, 2017 09:38AM
HI Matthias

Thanks. Manage to use the USB..at the end the issue is the USB. I tried every USB stick I got till it worked.
My new problem.....
After installing piratebox on my RM3040...well I hope it installed properly coz I left it overnight
I can see the "PirateBox - Share Freely" SSID but now I cannot telnet or SSH to the Piratebox.

Now sure what is the next step? Do I connect wifi to the MR3040?
By doing so, is something supposed to happened after connecting the SSID? I read I supposed to get like a landing page but I dun see anything webpage redirection.
I cannot telnet or SSH to 192.168.1.1 using putty
My pc ipconfig shows the following
ip is 169.254.112.223
subnet is 255.255.0.0
gateway is blank

I am stuck ...and dunno what to do. Any advice what to do next?
January 31, 2017 06:57PM
Well it seems your PirateBox does not serve an IP to your computer.
try to get access with a static ip (192.168.1.1) and ethernet. Then try to capture the technical detail commands [piratebox.cc]

Without any debug output, solving the issue is more like reading your horoscope smiling smiley

best regards
Matthias