After installing OpenWRT

Posted by lostsys 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
After installing OpenWRT
May 25, 2017 12:14AM
Hi,
Attempting to install piratebox on:
D-Link wr703N 1.6

Using openWRT from [wiki.openwrt.org]
because [piratebox.cc]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is our opkg doesn't have the right address to download the
USB packages as defined in
[daviddarts.com]

Following a
opkg update

We get:
Downloading [downloads.openwrt.org].
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download
[downloads.openwrt.org],
wget returned 1.

Any idea why?

Is it the wrong package version?

The piratebox software is on a usb stick, but seems like we need the openWRT files that recognise the flash drive.. However, they do not download..
Anyway to solve this?

Cheers and many thanks!

xxx
Re: After installing OpenWRT
May 26, 2017 01:10PM
ok..

Found the correct link for openWRT drive that recognise the usb -
[downloads.openwrt.org]

Installed and indeed now the usb is viewable.

Unzipped the piratebox.

Rebooted the tplink router.

However, the piratebox software doesn't seem to be installed sad smiley

Any hints??

Cheers!
May 26, 2017 06:21PM
Yes, you are following a totally old installation guide.
This one should be correct, if the device is listed as supported.. [piratebox.cc]
And we have custom firmware versions including an automatic installation.
May 27, 2017 12:29PM
good to hear!

Am following the old rules because TP-Link TL-W703N is not listed in the new auto install guide
[stable.openwrt.piratebox.de]

the question is -
how do i get the piratebox software installed?

openwrt is working, recognising the usb drive. i unzipped piratebox, but it doesn't install..

cheers!
May 27, 2017 05:53PM
Hi Matthias,

thanks for response. I'm on this project with lostsys.

We installed that old version of openwrt because we have the TP-Link TL-W703N which is not currently supported by latest piratebox but seems to have been in the past.

We got the OpenWRT image for the router from the link on [piratebox.cc] which I presume is the right one to use.

Having flashed that version of OpenWRT onto the router, we can successfully log in to it. However, by default the USB pendrive is NOT recognised. We CAN mount it manually, but if we try to restart (ie. to boot from a pendrive with piratebox installation software unzipped in it) it doesn't seem to do anything.

So, is there a way to *manually* ask to install PirateBox from that zipped PirateBox installer, from the OpenWRT command line?

Also, I've updated the /etc/opkg.config so that opkg now seems to point at a valid repository :
src/gz barrier_breaker [downloads.openwrt.org]

But while opkg list says a bunch of packages are installed, trying to install anything else with opkg throws an error. (Not a very meaningful one). For example if I try to install python I get :

opkg install python-base
Installing python-base (2.7.13-5) to root...
Downloading [downloads.openwrt.org].
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for python-base:
 * 	libpthread * 	zlib * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package python-base.

If I try to install one of these dependencies like zlib

opkg install zlib
Unknown package 'zlib'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package zlib.

I know this is more an openwrt problem than a piratebox one, but do you have any intuitions about this?

cheers

Phil
May 27, 2017 09:29PM
Hi,
ok, several topics to discuss.

Am following the old rules because TP-Link TL-W703N is not listed in the new auto install guide
Afaik it is and it is working. Please use this image
 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
This is valid for 1.x WR703N. I am assuming you are talking about the WR. I am not quite sure about 1.7 , but 1.6 should be working. I assume 1.7 will do , too

Having flashed that version of OpenWRT onto the router, we can successfully log in to it. However, by default the USB pendrive is NOT recognised. We CAN mount it manually, but if we try to restart (ie. to boot from a pendrive with piratebox installation software unzipped in it) it doesn't seem to do anything.
Yes, the default openwrt image is pretty much empty, if you are lucky it will contain a web ui.
The PirateBox image contains the needed USB drivers + a couple of scripts which help to auto install the needed stuff

So, is there a way to *manually* ask to install PirateBox from that zipped PirateBox installer, from the OpenWRT command line?
No, you can only follow a series of commands And the PirateBox packages are only compatible to OpenWrt-AA version (which mostly do not include needed backported device versions for WR703N).

Also, I've updated the /etc/opkg.config so that opkg now seems to point at a valid repository :
src/gz barrier_breaker [downloads.openwrt.org]
No, that is not true. You are pointing to the current development version of OpenWrt which will directly lead into incompatibilities. The correct path for a AA would be
Language: PHP
https://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/ar71xx/generic/packages/
As mentioned above, stock AA (Attitude adjustment) does not include necessary drivers for 1.7 , see OpenWrt wiki.
I just saw, that the new downloads.openwrt.org runs as https, but the old Package files might point to http only. Try changing this, if that does not work ... well there might be the need to setup a proxy :-(

how do i get the piratebox software installed?
The easiest way would be to try out the auto install firmware provided by us. Keep in mind, that your USB stick must be prepared properly ( see HowTo format my USB stick correctly?, which is also true for a manual installation)
If you want to do a reflash, the command
sysupgrade -n <firmware>
or (unsafe)
mtd -r write <firmware.bin> firmware 
is your friend. You can also have a look at those two failsafe recovery help descriptions: Reflash with USB & Reflash without USB

If you still want to go down the path of a manual installation, you should start with changing the only possible LAN port to a WAN port and make sure that the internet connection is working. If you were able to manage this, then you should follow this HowTo OpenWrt - Manual, which -AFAIK- should be still valid.
The shortest step by step howto is: OpenWrt for Yun

Hope that helps,
best regards
Matthias
edit: formatting post

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2017 09:31PM by Matthias.
May 29, 2017 01:13AM
Hi Matthias ,

Following your instructions we were able to fix it all and the piratebox works!

Hoorah and many thanks!

Tomorrow we will try to run some new or modified software on it..

Hopefully it works fine.. winking smiley

Ciao for now!

xxx