DHCP a static address

Posted by fa001 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
DHCP a static address
December 17, 2017 05:41PM
How do I setup the DHCP server to give the same static IP address to the same device each time after reboot?
Re: DHCP a static address
December 17, 2017 07:06PM
Hi,
add the following line to /opt/piratebox/conf/dnsmasq_default.conf

dhcp-host=11:22:33:44:55:66,192.168.1.60
[/code

Replace 11:22:33:44:55:66 with the MAC Address of the client you want to handout the same IP. The second parameter is the IP, which should be in the range of your network (on OpenWrt 192.168.1.x).

After changeing that file, it is necessary to restart PirateBox (because the final dnsmasq config is generated)

/etc/init.d/piratebox restart

best regards
Matthias
December 17, 2017 08:54PM
Thank you that worked to get a fixed IP on my laptop.
However when I try to ping from my Windows laptop to another device on the network I get "Destination host unreachable". Should not two devices being given IPs on the same network be able to ping each other?
December 18, 2017 08:19AM
Hi,
per default we restricted the access to the AP(PirateBox) only with the feature "isolation". You can disable it with following this Manual on the Mods page.

best regards Matthias
December 18, 2017 05:28PM
Thanks again. That was it. I missed that detail.
Glad that it was a simple one.
December 18, 2017 07:52PM
You are welcome. We changed that behavior with 1.1 to protect strangers from others... and made the client to client connection as an opt-in "feature".