Found a MR3040 - Can't Seem to Access it

Posted by DerekCaelin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Found a MR3040 - Can't Seem to Access it
December 31, 2017 01:21AM
Hi Folks,

I was told on Twitter that I should post here - here goes.

At work I was handed a TPLink MR-3040 device that the owner had originally been using to distribute apks at workshops. I've been researching things to do with it and I thought I'd install PirateBox. However, the device doesn't seem to be working properly. While I can see it on the wireless network when activated, I can't connect to it. If I plug in via ethernet cable, I can't get a local IP address to SSH into the device according to this guide. I'd try this U-Boot tutorial I've read about, but I don't have a linux machine with an ethernet port.

Any suggestions for how to get access to this device so I can install PirateBox?

Derek
Re: Found a MR3040 - Can't Seem to Access it
December 31, 2017 02:02AM
I should mention - all lights are on with the router. It doesn't seem to be bricked.
December 31, 2017 07:32AM
Hi,
thanks for posting here! It is very difficult to give valuable support on twitter.

When you are writing:

I should mention - all lights are on with the router.
Do you mean that all lights are steady online or do they all go off and on all the time (which is an indicator for a not working firmware image).

If I plug in via ethernet cable, I can't get a local IP address to SSH into the device according to this guide.
This guide is only helpful If you really want to start from the beginning or get back to TPLink software for various reasons. If you want to start over, it is better to try to reflash using the normal onboard utilities.

Let's start with a few questions:

- You are writing, that you are not getting an IP during ethernet or wifi connection. Did you try to setup a static IP on wifi and/or ethernet connection. The setup would be IP 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
- Did you leave the USB stick with installed piratebox in the box?
- Assuming the device is running some sort of OpenWrt brand. Did you tried to get access via telnet and failsafe mode? Reflash via failsave mode & USB ; Reflash via failsave mode & without USB

edit:
if we really can't get any access to the box, the correct guide for reflashing via tftp & serial cable would be: Recover a bricked MR3020 . (you can leave out the resistor - just connect TX,RX,GND)

best regards Matthias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 07:37AM by Matthias.
January 07, 2018 08:59PM
Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your help. At your suggestion I set my own ip address and used telnet to access my MR3040. I used these instructions to get to get a piratebox install working.

Thanks again!

Derek