The wiki layout NEEDS to be fixangry smileyangry smileyed.

Posted by Smilencrossbones 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
The wiki layout NEEDS to be fixangry smileyangry smileyed.
October 14, 2013 10:52PM
I'm pretty sure i have broken my 3020 beyond what I can do to fix it.

3. Optional: Install the Kareha Image Board:

/opt/piratebox/bin/timesave.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf install

/opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh <--- this is a beggining of the command below. it should be this: /opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf

As a result, I've been ripping my hair out, fighting with this for 4 days solid. I have made so many modifications, attempts, variations, that I'm pretty sure i have ruined it.

Now I can ping out. But I cannot pull down anything. I can ping the ip of the german site that holds the files, but I can't pull them down.

Also, the inventor of VI should be shot in the face.
Re: The wiki layout NEEDS to be fixangry smileyangry smileyed.
October 14, 2013 11:04PM
It's three lines so it looks like it's three commands...

1. /opt/piratebox/bin/timesave.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf install
2. /opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh
3. /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf imageboard

Right? NO. Wrong.
It's actually two.

/opt/piratebox/bin/timesave.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf install

and then

/opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf imageboard

Drove me nuts for a bit too.
The feedback from /opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh clued me in...
it says usage: install_piratebox my_config <part>

install_piratebox being the .sh command.... my_config being the path to the .conf file.... and <part> being the imageboard.

Hope that helps.
October 14, 2013 11:29PM
I feel your pain as well.

Sadly my super fun toy that I was going to have a blast with has mostly been this thing I want to smash to bits.

Do you know of a howto to revert it to stock form? knowing this, I could erase the whole thing, the start from scratch.

Right now it's in a weird state of limbo. If I try to ping google.com it kindly mentions that the ip for google is 192.168.1.1 <-huh?

It can ping out, but it can pull down any of the packages (hangs at the opkg commands...)

cat /etc/config/network gives me this:

config interface 'loopback'
option ifname 'lo'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
option ifname 'eth0'
option type 'bridge'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '10.10.10.99'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option gateway '10.10.10.1'
list dns '10.10.10.1'
list dns '8.8.8.8'
ping of th IP of google gives me this:

PING 173.194.70.147 (173.194.70.147): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 173.194.70.147: seq=0 ttl=40 time=170.346 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.70.147: seq=1 ttl=40 time=167.031 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.70.147: seq=2 ttl=40 time=170.478 ms
64 bytes from 173.194.70.147: seq=3 ttl=40 time=178.933 ms
^C
--- 173.194.70.147 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 167.031/171.697/178.933 ms

but ping of google.com gives me this:

PING google.com (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
October 14, 2013 11:51PM
I went through every step it seems you are going through...

I documented my process here.

When I got to the point you are at... I wiped it.

[forum.daviddarts.com]

A link to the instructions (from Matthias) are in that thread. Fair warning... I spent HOURS but it's now totally customized and running great.
October 15, 2013 04:26AM
"Right now it's in a weird state of limbo.
If I try to ping google.com it kindly mentions
that the ip for google is 192.168.1.1 <-huh?"

It happens because piratebox redirection,
just turn it off by typing :
/etc/init.d/piratebox nodns
October 15, 2013 07:43PM
Thanks johanrusli , exactly that fixes the dns-glitch, which was made as a fix for an other issue eye rolling smiley

I even know about that bad formatting in the howto, you are not the first with at issue. I'm sorry about that and we are working on a redesign... I'll talk to david about a work-around (I put it on my todo list)

usually you can fix the box without a clean wipe, but a clean wipe is the easiest solution. winking smiley

Is there still some issue?
October 15, 2013 10:25PM
Alas, yes there is.

Everything is going downhill. I am locked out of the failsafe mode.

Suffice to say I have ordered a 3040.
October 16, 2013 03:42AM
The MR3040 has currently only support in the trunk openwrt image, which I don't recommend.
The mr3040 got an hardware-upgrade in the mid of the year, which broke the support on stable image.
October 18, 2013 07:59PM
Well, that explains my woes then.

I've got open wrt on it.

Also, having no less than 2 open wrt routers (both buffalo's) I think I figured out what was the problem. I was attempting to connect the router # 2, that happens to have 192.168.1.1 as an ip schema.

sad smiley

I've restored the 3020 using the python method. Going to poke at it some more. Are there plans to make the 3040 piratebox capable in the future? I have to say I really like the portability of the integrated battery.
October 18, 2013 08:20PM
Hi,
I'm glad you figured your issues out. I usually change my home-network IP to something totally different, like 192.168.200.x, which helped me several times.

About the Mr3040:
I'm a total fan of it, because of the integrated battery. You can use the current "trunk"-image, which is a bleeding edge source. Maybe I can provide a proper image with the imagebuilder-technique.. which contains all needed images
October 18, 2013 08:57PM
SUCCESS!

I had more luck by restoring the default open-wrt image, using the python method, then manually installing the piratebox using the opkg steps.

I also added "opkg install nano".

What was tripping me up was the combo of the 2 lines mentioned at the top. Also being on an open wrt router that ALSO had 192.168.1.1 (at home)

Maybe this will help:

cat /etc/config/network gives me this:

config interface 'loopback'
option ifname 'lo'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
option ifname 'eth0'
option type 'bridge'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '10.10.10.99' ## I changed this from the 192.168.1.1 that is the default. I did this as this is how my router is setup ##
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option gateway '10.10.10.1' ## the gateway option shown when you "ifconfig" in linux / osx, or "ipconfig /all" in m$. Hint, this is the URL for the web interface of your router ##
list dns '10.10.10.1' ## changed this as same as above ##
list dns '8.8.8.8' ## added this is the google dns address ##

HINTS:

I practiced creating a text file in bash using VI, to make sure I got it right. Less stressful than trying to do it on the router.

Once you've changed the setting in /etc/config/network with VI, to reflect your network, MOVE THE TP-LINK OVER TO YOUR ROUTER. I was trying to be all cool, and tried to share the ethernet access, through my wifi, to my ethernet on the laptop. This introduced all sorts of problems, including disconnecting me mid update etc. Huge pain, forced me to figure out the python method & restore from failsafe. Good learning experience, frustrating as hell.

ping has a -k option. You can use that if you have multiple adapters to force ping out of a specific interface. I wish I had known about this switch for the last 10 years. (IE "ping -k 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2" pings out of your hard assigned ethernet adaptor, to the hard assigned ethernet adaptor of the tp-link for example) Good if you have multiple adapters.

My two cents:

the generic open wrt image with pulling down piratebox packages worked, where the custom pre-bundled one did not.
The tp-link 3020 is robust enough to survive a fist smashing rage fit, but I don't recommend trying this. Your milage may vary.
October 18, 2013 09:07PM
congratulations!

I removed nano due to less space on the tiny routers... and yes my package is configured to fetch all dependencies... But because of trouble with trunk sources, I made that prebuilt images

@sharing ethernet access.. yes all that kind of stuff makes troubles.. say with the cool ppl trying to use wifi interface while installing: BAD IDEA.

ping -k ; nice to know, I'll check that out, thanks!

BTW: I Updated the images under: [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de] That contain the image for the MR3040v2 ... if you want, you can test it.
October 20, 2013 08:09AM
I have both my 2030 and my 2040 running open wrt, your special versions. I added a switch in front of my router and added a second router, just so I don't have to mess with my existing setup. I've become confident enough to do the python recovery method a whole bunch of times.

Now to pull down the piratebox packages.

I successfully did this yesterday on the 2030, but when I connected to the box all I got was a white page. If i browsed to 192.168.1.1 (this AFTER I had changed it to 10.10.10.99) I got the web gui for the piratebox, but with some missing graphics.

I'll try this tomorrow again. I feel as though i'm getting closer.
October 21, 2013 07:06AM
Ah well,

I now have piratebox on both the 3020 and the 3040! And i did it at the cafe, without wifi, using my iphone as a personal hotspot, serving internet to my laptop via wifi, sharing to the ethernet jack, via ICS.

I'm a glutton for punishment!
October 21, 2013 06:07PM
wow, that is alot of punishment - haha eye rolling smiley can't do it even more complicated.

If you want to change the IP of your PirateBox, please take notice of this howto [piratebox.aod-rpg.de]

Did it finally work out? (The MR3040 -if it is version 2 - needs another image than the v1 )

regards
Matthias
November 01, 2013 05:18AM
Sorry for the delay, deluged at work. Yes both have PB running, the special one for the 3040 also. I'm going to tackle the kahera board on both next. I also want to "customize" the look of the pages.

I'm loving this! Now if I can get someone to connect and upload something, anything. I guess peeps are extra cautious at the coffee shops I frequent.