PirateBox release 1.1.0

Posted by Matthias 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PirateBox release 1.1.0
September 21, 2016 07:17PM
Hello PirateBox-fellowers,

I think we can release 1.1.0 now.

The overall changelog is:

Changelog 1.1 :
* [New] Enable / Disable file provisioning for custom lighttpd directory listing
* [New] ChatBox message is now in conf/chat_init.txt
* [New] Disable the Shoutbox to prevent writing into it
* [New] PHP configuration shipped, to enable easily for modifications
* [New] Mesh implementation, technical preview
* [New] JSON config file to direct client side applications, like "share apps"
* [New] Simply python IRC Server installed and prepareable for automatic start
* [New] Shoutbox-Time via Client-Date possible
* [New] Website is now available under /content and /opt/piratebox/share
* [New] [RPi] Service files for using a RTC at PiratBox
* [New] Redirect all DNS requests to local box via firewall (custom script)
* [New] Redirect all web request option via firewall (disabled) (custom script)
* [New] [OpenWrt] Redirect all DNS requests to local box via firewall
* [New] [OpenWrt] Redirect all web request option via firewall (disabled)
* [New] [OpenWrt] Enable all wifi devices with the PirateBox SSID
* [New] [OpenWrt] AP Client isolation activated per default
* [Changed] Send HTTP-Code 204 via PHP, much cleaner
* [Changed] Update jQuery to 2.2.3, removes IE <=8 support
* [Changed] Redirect happens now always to wished domain name
* [Changed] Droopy, make chmod operation optional (prevent errors on OpenWRT)
* [Fix] License Adjustments
* [Fix] Prevent JS Injection in Shoutbox
* [Fix] Shoutbox: Missing blank between author and content
* [Fix] Fix problem when running in small display mode at direcotry listing.
* [Fix] Add xhtml mime type in lighttpd configuration

So, as you can see a bunch of changes and I hope we nailed down the most issues.

OpenWrt
As usually the upgrade instructions on [piratebox.cc] apply for this release also. Remember, that all changes in /opt/piratebox and OpenWrt changes will be overwritten.
The installation and upgrade now contains multiple reboots and the installation takes now around 30-40 minutes. The longer installation time is the result of:

* Preinstalled PHP
* Copied content to USB stick for easier www manipulation
* Mesh preview is installed and avahi is ready

RaspberryPI
The recommended way for RPi is currently a complete reflash, like described in the RaspberryPi tutorial. The images are not yet available. I still need someone to give it a quick test.
The wifi issue of the RPi3 together with a 2nd wifi card is not fixed yet.
Mesh is not available for RPi !

New feature documentation
I must admit, that I still need to create howtos and documentation to use the new features included in 1.1.0. Remember the mesh feature is a technical preview, so there is not a 100 % user experience, like you might expect.
If you want to participate in documenting mod, features or other changes, let me know. I will create a wiki account for you. You can also contribute in our collection thread- I will work on that.

So, if you have further questions, please let me know.

best regards
Matthias
Re: PirateBox release 1.1.0
September 21, 2016 07:23PM
If someone volunteers for testing the RPi image, let me know. After I got a first successful test, I'll create magnet links and share it
September 22, 2016 04:42AM
Matthias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If someone volunteers for testing the RPi image,
> let me know. After I got a first successful test,
> I'll create magnet links and share it

I'm happy to assist with RPi testing.
September 22, 2016 08:26AM
Hi,
I just sent you a link to the RPi images per PM.

Thank you very much,
best regards
Matthias
September 22, 2016 10:35AM
Really good news for my php mediacenter, maybe I will try it on piratebox.... if i find time to go back into it.

I'm not sure to understand the new www redirect things ? Does it offer a fully working homepage redirecting ? I mean, is it the end of HTTPS webpage not working ? Will I be able to drop your captive portal option ?
September 22, 2016 10:42AM
HTTPS is still an issue and can't be solved in a convenient way (like now with a connection refused or SSL error messages including a browser denying to acces the page).
Captive Portal is not implemented. My demo-Mod for a captive portal don't work that well with the mesh implementation. So we still need to do some work on this.

The redirect rules were made available to catch all port 80 traffic and forward it to the PirateBox, whatever IP (outside the subnet) is accessed- that helps in some conditions. Redirecting Port 80 (www/HTTP) traffic disabled per default.

We also added the capture of all DNS traffic. This helps to answer requests, which clients issue to statically configured DNS servers like 8.8.8.8 ; that solves some issues that occured to some people. As this feature helps to enforce the PirateBox concept, that is the reason why the DNS redirect is enabled per default.

best regards
Matthias
September 25, 2016 02:08AM
Would a self signed certificate fix the https issue by chance?
Re: PirateBox release 1.1.0 (hopefully +1)
September 25, 2016 11:06PM
I've been waiting for this project to include the mesh. Good stuff indeed.

I have all the rpi's apart from the zero and any of the 3's if that helps also... I can git.

Get in touch. x
September 26, 2016 02:06AM
Would love to test the RPi image for you as well if no one else gets around to it... and thank you because this couldn't have come at a better time. I've been reverse engineering all of your hostapd/dnsmasq/whatnot settings because I've found that heavy php just kills openwrt, causing pages to seriously struggle.

Matthias - may I ask what your issues with the 2nd wifi card on the RPi3 is? I was able to get that setup working while I working on "reverse engineering" it to get pb working on a lamp stack. Have pretty much made it so I can serve my webpage over the Piratebox wifi as well as my local network that wlan1 is connected to. Oh, and so I can ssh into box without switching wifi.

Again, thanks a ton for this... makes my day that I don't need to image my very likely sloppy work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2016 03:44AM by ganastor.
September 26, 2016 02:37AM
Hey, you might want to check build version. it looks like it was built from when you merged pull request #153 a few months back.... or droopy chmod fix got missed...somehow?!?

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2016 02:39AM by TheExpertNoob.
September 26, 2016 07:59AM

Would a self signed certificate fix the https issue by chance?
@damavox : nope.
It seems I really need to make a manual that people can verify it for themself

I've been waiting for this project to include the mesh. Good stuff indeed.

I have all the rpi's apart from the zero and any of the 3's if that helps also... I can git.

Get in touch. x
Remember, mesh not for Raspberry.. about RPi test, see below.

Would love to test the RPi image for you as well if no one else gets around to it...
[..]
Matthias - may I ask what your issues with the 2nd wifi card on the RPi3 is? [..]
Again, thanks a ton for this... makes my day that I don't need to image my very likely sloppy work.
It seems, that that if you have the Realtek card as wlan1 , which needs a special hostap version, our installer does not exchange the hostap binary with that one. I think that is the root cause.. but there are some posts in the raspberry board including a bunch of complains about that.

Hey, you might want to check build version. it looks like it was built from when you merged pull request #153 a few months back.... or droopy chmod fix got missed...somehow?!?
Owwwww. You are damn right. I need to review OpenWrt version, too. Possibly something went wrong during build. Thank you alot for that

@RPi-Testers: Thank you for you will to participate. After ExpertNoob's feedback, I need to rebuild the Rpi images possibly. I already got the feedback, that there is something wrong as well. So I will review the RPi image today or tomorrow, possibly rebuild it and then give away download URLs for the testers.

Thank you alot for your feedback.
best regards
Matthias
September 26, 2016 12:24PM
FYI, I am single now, but still have work. So I am back with more free time to test.
ZSun, A5-V11, RPi Zero/1/2. Also, "Fall Break" is in a weeks time so I will have a full week to test.

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)
September 26, 2016 02:41PM

It seems, that that if you have the Realtek card as wlan1 , which needs a special hostap version, our installer does not exchange the hostap binary with that one. I think that is the root cause.. but there are some posts in the raspberry board including a bunch of complains about that.
I read through some of them... seems the biggest issue is just using the realtek chipsets? Mine is ralink so maybe that's why I'm not experiencing the same issues? I think I've also reversed what most people have done - I'm using the built-in broadcom as PirateBox, and ralink/wlan1 as external wifi, so maybe that's where I had different success as well.

I'd be happy to discuss in a separate topic if you want me to start another (or move this one), as long as I can remember what the hell I did to get it all working smiling smiley
September 26, 2016 03:45PM
Yes you are right! Thank you for digging into this. Lets continue the RPi3 discussion on the corresponding thread smiling smiley

Cool, thank you!

Matthias
September 26, 2016 06:16PM
Man that sounds bad, I'm sorry.

Thank you alot for the heads up about the build state. I discovered, that the OpenWRT images are wrongly built, too..

Damn :-/
September 26, 2016 07:51PM
With big thanks to the reports about the RPi-Preview, I was able to identify some issues with the new image.

Seems I can do a 1.1.1 release in the next days.. smiling smiley
September 26, 2016 08:12PM
This is the github bug, which I use to track the things [github.com]
September 27, 2016 09:03PM
Hi Matthias,

as you asked, I tried this new version on a MR3040.

It works pretty well, I haven't seen any big problems... Here is however some stuff that I saw:

1. when you use
box_init_setup.sh
It is written:
FTP configuration not available
I don't know if it's normal...

2. In data.fr.properties
refreshButton.value = Rafra  chir
should be replaced by
refreshButton.value = Rafraichir

and
footerFilesTopSafety = LibraryBox ...
should be replaced by
footerFilesTopSafety = PirateBox ...

3. In lighttpd.conf
here is the last line:
server.error-handler-404 = "/succe
so I guess some stuff is missing at the end of the line...

4. There is a problem with the div upload: there is always a navigation bar.
Here is what I have on my laptop:
Here is what I have on my smartphone:

So it's kind of messed up...

5. What is the difference between the www folder and the www-content folder? It looks that there are the same files in both!

I really enjoyed the fact that everything is directly translated into French! Great features!

I haven't found how to activate php or how to have the python IRC Server work.

If you want me to test something else, let me know!

meaz
September 27, 2016 09:32PM
Thank you for your feedback. Awesome!

The LibraryBox=>Piratebox bug is already fixed smiling smiley - i corrected the other translation issue.

3. In lighttpd.conf
here is the last line:

server.error-handler-404 = "/succe
I am wondering about that, that looks on my side correct. Can you double check that please?

4. There is a problem with the div upload: there is always a navigation bar.
IT IS, that is a bug from building 1.1.0 . ExpertNoob already provided a fix, which wasn't packed together -- for whatever reason. You should see that fixed in 1.1.1

5. What is the difference between the www folder and the www-content folder? It looks that there are the same files in both!
www-content is copied to the shared folder (USB stick) and contains the landing page, design and generated content. Normal www should only contain some technical stuff. No Javascript or something.
So, that should help people in modifyng their box.

I really enjoyed the fact that everything is directly translated into French! Great features!
I haven't found how to activate php or how to have the python IRC Server work.
the python IRC server can be activated via piratebox.conf. There is another bug, so that you have to run the following line to make it working (will be fixed in 1.1.1).
sed -i 's|IRC_PARMS="--daemon|IRC_PARMS="--setuid $LIGHTTPD_USER --daemon|'  /opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox_alt
then change ENABLE_IRC_SERVER="no" to "yes" in piratebox.conf and do a reboot.

To enable PHP, checkout /opt/piratebox/conf/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf the line
 include "/opt/piratebox/conf/lighttpd/fastcgi-php.conf"
needs to be uncommented, you just run
echo 'include "/opt/piratebox/conf/lighttpd/fastcgi-php.conf"' >> /opt/piratebox/conf/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
and reboot, that should enable php for everything in the content folder.

Hope that helps.. oh and we need to document that optional (!) enabling of the features on piratebox.cc , that would be soo cool. .. ah, I started a thread in General to keep track of our documentation flaws.

Thank you alot for testing and reporting
Matthias
September 28, 2016 06:13PM
Could you send the links to the RP-zero distribution so that we can test that as well. If anyone has this pre-compiled I'd love those links.

Kirk
September 28, 2016 06:30PM
if you register yourself in the forum, I can send you the link to the 1.1.0 test image from 26-Sep-2016
September 28, 2016 06:54PM
Matthias;

Done; Sorry for not having done so earlier

Kirk
September 28, 2016 07:26PM
PM sent smiling smiley thanks