Replace USB drive with larger capacity

Posted by North 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Replace USB drive with larger capacity
July 24, 2014 01:33AM
Built PB 1.0 with the auto installer on TP-Link MR3040 v1. All went fine, but now we wish to upgrade the USB that we used to one with larger capacity. It appears that any other USB 2.0 drive is not mounted in PB (have tried 3 - 4 different USB models) Does anyone have a recommened process, or has successfully done this? Thank you.
Re: Replace USB drive with larger capacity
July 24, 2014 07:51PM
did you copied over everything from the old to the new one?

This is only my signature.
July 24, 2014 11:12PM
North Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Built PB 1.0 with the auto installer on TP-Link
> MR3040 v1. All went fine, but now we wish to
> upgrade the USB that we used to one with larger
> capacity. It appears that any other USB 2.0 drive
> is not mounted in PB (have tried 3 - 4 different
> USB models) Does anyone have a recommened process,
> or has successfully done this? Thank you.

Are still using a flash drive? I've built one now for MR3040 and WZR G300NH routers

The WZR has a USB port capable of powering an external usb drive
The MR3020 does not, flash thumb drives only.

I've now had some time to play around with different hardware, etc and I find
Large capacity dives just don't work as well as usb flash thumb drives, so I'm sticking with these guys for the time being fat 32 format.

I'm pretty happy to have my WZR buffalo running now with latest specs. But, I like the MR3020 because of its super low power consumption, super neat products!

Anyone know if I can share usb storage amongst the two different pirate boxes without data corruption?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 11:16PM by Cantenna.
July 25, 2014 07:48AM
Hi Matthias, thank you for your reply. Yes, did copy all the data to the new (from the old), but the MR 3040 would boot, but not mount the USB. Have found a USB similar and this does work!, so it must be incompatiblitly issue with the others? (mostly newer) that we tried. Did check the logs and one did flag a issue. Will try a few more and will see what happens. Please note that we tried the default FAT32, and reformat with 3rd party tools.
Hi Cantenna, thank you, yer, still USB flash, glad with your success!, its a great, fun product. Corruption issue, interesting, may have to do some testing with this.
Cheers.
(sorry , sometime i'm make english mistake)

i'm also interrested with larger capacity, because if it's possible i will try to use or implement some full HTML feature (like permit web hosting pages feature with automatic listing to devellop an utilisations in an associative (so non-lucrative) environnement.

I precise than i'm not a IT, but work often with some, whose can help me on this project.
July 28, 2014 01:10PM
vanghard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (sorry , sometime i'm make english mistake)
>
> i'm also interrested with larger capacity, because
> if it's possible i will try to use or implement
> some full HTML feature (like permit web hosting
> pages feature with automatic listing to devellop
> an utilisations in an associative (so
> non-lucrative) environnement.
>
> I precise than i'm not a IT, but work often with
> some, whose can help me on this project.

and i had someone who say to me , in a dream create a local "diaspora" on a PB to make the association knew each other .
February 16, 2015 05:03AM
I have this problem as well. Created a PirateBox with a 2 GB flash drive and now I want to use a larger drive. I copied everything to the new drive and replaced the old one with it. The PirateBox boots and I can see the SSID but I can't seem to connect to it. I can't get an IP address. The new drive is of a different brand and model from the old one. Is there an extra step required to make it work?
February 16, 2015 07:32AM
For Windows user it is sometimes not visible where the problem is. You can format the USB Stick directly (that will create only the device /dev/sda under linux) or you can add a partition and format the partition.
The last option will create the device /dev/sda1 under linux.

Under windows it makes no obvious difference, but the PirateBox Scripts rely on sda1, because -lets say 3/4 of the USB sticks have a formatted partition. You can try to modify the USB Stick (create a new partition with an extra tool under windows) - or you can change the configuration on PirateBox.

To change the configuration under Piratebox, you need to connect to your Box - best way to use an ethernet cable - and setup the static IP 192.168.1.2 ; netmask 255.255.255.0
Then ssh into your box like normal and run

sed -i 's|/dev/sda1|/dev/sda|' /etc/ext.config

during the next reboot, the usb stick should be mounted correctly.

regards Matthias