Can a Piratebox be used as a self-contained VPN client?

Posted by cookm 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Can a Piratebox be used as a self-contained VPN client?
September 05, 2014 10:42PM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to run a Piratebox with a suitable 3G dongle and off-the-shelf SIM card (i.e. one which does not have a fixed public IP address) and be able to connect to it (or rather the LAN side of the MR3020 router) remotely?

I suppose what I am trying to do is be able to run something like Teamviewer on it (or at least a Linux version of Teamviewer if such a thing existed!) and then "dial up" the router wherever it is located and talk to its internal LAN.

Please forgive me if this sounds a silly question to all you very clever guys on this forum but I am not really software-savvy although I'm very keen to learn more about this exciting "hobby"!

Thanks,

Martin
Re: Can a Piratebox be used as a self-contained VPN client?
September 06, 2014 04:36AM
Hi Martin,
that would be difficult, because the USB Port is used for the USB Stick. On this USB Stick we install alot of software, that PirateBox can even work on small devices.
Some 3G dongles have an SD Card slot, which I never tried to use.- So I can't give any advice.

Even having switchable 3G networks, in some countries you are forced to register the SIM Card on your name, that you are able to use it. That wouldn't be a sufficient anonymity for the PBx owner.

Last but not least: PirateBox is per design off from the internet.

Matthias

This is only my signature.
September 06, 2014 06:57AM
Hi Matthias, hmmm, maybe this idea will not work for me after all...

Oh well, it looked promising!

Many thanks,

Martin
September 17, 2014 06:37AM
Prepare some tiny slides about the project,
Prepare a PirateBox containing the needed images,
more cables,
and be prepared for the strangest questions. smiling smiley

Worried about pass4sure exam