Western Digital My Book Live

Posted by DutchSpeed 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Western Digital My Book Live
March 04, 2011 08:01PM
Hi all,

Is it possible to install PirateBox on the Western Digital My Book Live?

The My Book Live is delivered with a Lenny (Debian) linux based system. It is available in 1TB, 2TB and 3TB capacities.

For more info about the My Book Live:
[www.wdc.com]

For info about unlocking:
[mybookworld.wikidot.com]

Thanks in advance.
Re: Western Digital My Book Live
March 04, 2011 09:14PM
Hi DutschSpeed,

It shoud be possible to run the WD MyBookLive with the piratebox services.
At first, try to get your ssh login and deactivate (or swich the port) of the current web-frontend.
At second have a look at the package-requirements listed here or here
(David, can you provide a proper package listning?) I think you only need to install python:

Language: PHP
# apt-get install python

You can use my package for installing and running the piratebox, if python has been installed.
If you use my scripts, follow the install-instructions in the included readme and set the USE_APN, USE_DNSMASQ and DO_IFCONFIG options to "no".

Currently, the common problem is the correct hostname. In fact, everywhere in the scripts provided by david (and so my scripts to) the hostname pirate.box is entered. It's not that flexible as it looks like.

In which setup do you want to use the WD-box?

best regards Matthias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 09:28PM by Matthias.
Re: Western Digital My Book Live
March 05, 2011 02:49PM
Hi Matthias,

I discovered today that the WD MyBookLive does not have a built-in wireless connection, and no USB ports. So the WD MyBookLive is not a good option for PirateBox.

Is there any other NAS system with a built-in wireless connection that offer capacities ranging from 500GB to 2TB?

Best regards,
DutchSpeed