Battery Piratebox

Posted by wuming 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Battery Piratebox
March 08, 2012 12:09PM
Hello,
On batteries for TPLINK, on the wiki, there are two solutions proposed:
The IOGEAR Mobile Device Charger to 62 € or the batteries with charger on Ebay for $ 40.

There are there any alternative?
What is the autonomy of different solutions?

thank you

-----
Bonjour,
Concernant les batteries pour le TPLINK, sur le wiki, il y a 2 solutions de proposées :
Le IOGEAR Mobile Device Charger à 62€ ou bien des piles avec chargeur sur Ebay à 40$.

Il y a t-il d'autre solution ?
Quelle est l'autonomie des differentes solutions ?

Merci
Re: Battery Piratebox
March 08, 2012 06:41PM
Si vous avez choisi un routeur en 12 V je vous conseille: [www.facebook.com]
March 09, 2012 02:12AM
The Buffalo is a 12 volt router, the one that I have implies that it doesn't need much regulation, so it can likely take 14.5 volts directly from an automotive supply, but I have not tried it.

The TP-link is a 5 volt router, so any solution intended for portable electronic devices would also work with the TP-link, perhaps with a micro to mini USB adapter cable. I own a GPS unit that uses a mini-usb car charger that works perfectly with the TP-link. I've left it running on my dashboard overnight without it drawing enough for my car to notice on a cold morning startup.

The TP-link's range is limited to (roughly) 15 meters radius from the car. The Buffalo's range is variable with internal transmission power controls, but max range is significantly higher, 50 meters line-of-sight easily.
March 09, 2012 10:10AM
Hello,
I have a XSORIES Solar Charger - Solar LCD.
It can charge my iphone 4, but does not charge my iPad.

As soon as I receive my TP-Link, I test ...

Bonjour,
je dispose d'un XSORIES Solar Charger - Chargeur solaire LCD.
Il permet de recharger mon iphone 4, mais ne veut pas recharger mon iPad.

Dés que je recois mon TP-Link, je testerais ...
March 10, 2012 06:30PM
Une energy box peut faire l'affaire aussi !
March 10, 2012 07:13PM
Pour ma part j'ai choisi une batterie 12V 6,8A avec une entrée et une sortie pour pouvoir y brancher mon panneau solaire et ainsi gagner 2 heures d'autonomie.
March 14, 2012 02:48PM
This is the one I've just bought for my 3020 [www.amazon.co.uk]
It's 5V and got two usb outputs, one with 1A and the other 2,1A. The battery has 7000mAh. I can't comment on how good it is until the 20-22nd of March, but I reckon it'll be fairly awesome, especially considering it's price.
March 27, 2012 04:24PM
I would like to investigate options for creating a solar powered PirateBox - one that might be installed in some, eg, on a rooftop or even in a tree.

I found this discussion on solar powering geek gadgets from a few years back

[events.ccc.de]

There have obviously been a lot of advances made since then. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about power (yet) to figure this out myself (yet). Is anyone else working on this?
March 27, 2012 04:29PM
I also found this on Amazon which looks like it might work

[www.amazon.com]
March 31, 2012 03:38PM
Zerode: i am also interested in this. The cheapest option seems to be a separate rechargeable battery pack and solar panel. I am also intrigued by the much more expensive vibration energy harvesting idea.

Is anyone else thinking of possibilities with the Raspberry Pi?
April 02, 2012 12:56PM
Philips has a battery charger based on 4xAA rechargable batteries... looks something about 10cm by 9cm ...

Link is here

Anyone familiar with this one?

---
"I don't remember the truth!" | Alice ~ Resident Evil
April 02, 2012 01:24PM
There's also this ReVIVE Solar ReStore External Battery Pack with Universal USB Charging Port

April 03, 2012 02:12PM
I made my own power supply using a parts from radioshack

1. Enercell® 6V Zinc Chloride Heavy-Duty Lantern Battery - Catalog #: 23-857
2. +5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator 7805 - Catalog #: 276-1770
3. cut the power cable from an old phone which fits the TL-MR3020

I wasn't comfortable putting over the recommended voltage in the router so I made the custom power cable to get exactly +5volts. I am currently leaving it on 24/7 to see how long the battery lasts.
April 03, 2012 03:44PM
This one looks ok as well... plus you can even charge your oldskool cell phone with it because of the many plugs delivered with it:
Opteka

---
April 03, 2012 03:58PM
All this power stuff is still terra incognita to me. With something like the Opteka could it be used to keep a PirateBox running indefinitely?
April 03, 2012 04:18PM
I don't think so to be honnest... This will charge, de-charge all the time... Maybe 10 hours to 100 hours when it loads up with the sun power... dunno. Need to experiment with that.
Usually, just plugging something in the power outlet isn't that expensive as they often calculate. It's not a washing machine...

---
April 04, 2012 04:37AM
Woha! cool stuff, but looks like rocket science grinning smiley
Pirateboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out this solar powered wikipedia server
> [www.reddit.com]
> /my_solar_powered_wikipedia_server
April 04, 2012 08:53AM
I did discover that using my method with the lantern battery (It may apply to other methods) once the batteries drain below a certain point even by 1 volt the device no longer works. I left mine on all night to see how long the battery would last. 24 Hrs later the device was lit but not broadcasting. Oddly enough the volt meter still read 6volts I suspect the amps might have changed as the battery starts to drain.
April 04, 2012 04:05PM
I have used a "+5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator 7805" for many projects or at least tried. (Mostly cell chargers) the issue I found is the regulator will only give 5v when the input is 7v. Most regulators need +2v to work properly, so 6v may only give 4.8v, but that may be enough I will try it today to see if it will power my 3020 which might operate at a usb 5v voltage.
My build is solar/batt powered. I hope that the 7805 works. I think a gps mod would be awesome, This requires me to do a lot of research.
April 04, 2012 05:17PM
Ando, "I found is the regulator will only give 5v when the input is 7v. Most regulators need +2v to work properly, so 6v may only give 4.8v"
This makes sense. I suspected the reason for the 7805 Drop was because the voltage decreased from the original state. I have since changed the power option to 8AA batteries, this gives me 12Volts. The unit should still be up and running when i get home. What I'd like to do is use a combination solar and rechargeable batteries. This would be the best option and the best of both world for night and day operation. I have had great success with fixed voltage regulators. Unfortunately Radio-shack doesn't keep many on hand, so whenever I can, I buy all that a store has.
April 05, 2012 04:21AM
Solar Charger 39€ (51$) 3600 mAh

econologie

I think the best thing that's (7000mAh) (26£ - 41$ - 31€) although it is not solar smiling smiley

IEP387
April 10, 2012 02:19AM
If the TL-MR3020 requires 5VDC/1.0A, would a solar power supply need to be generating that full 1.0A or would something with this output - 5.5V, 600mA via USB port - work?
April 10, 2012 06:08PM
David,

Did you happen to catch Charlie Stross's idea to deploy wireless tech into the sewers via rat-like robots? It's here in case anyone is interested: [www.antipope.org]

They'd power themselves by scavenging for discarded solids that could then presumably be burned, something like that Biolite stove, but with legs. I actually suspect building a small fleet of these wouldn't be terribly complicated, maybe not even that expensive (Arduino, anyone?), but getting them to play nicely and figure out optimal ranging patterns could be tricky. Also you probably don't want them munching on people's shoes.

As for solar chargers in general, I think you'd have to undergo the expense (power-wise) of knowing how much battery power you have available and how much sunlight is available, so you could make best use of the solar cell. I'd consider it something of a success to get three or four of these continuously powered and meshed for a week.
April 10, 2012 08:14PM
Yes, I saw Charlie's ratbot proposal a couple of weeks ago but thanks for posting the link here for others to see.