want torestore tp-link mr3020 back to factory

Posted by pdrift 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
want torestore tp-link mr3020 back to factory
August 09, 2013 06:14AM
I have a tp-link mr3020 that I made into a piratebox a while ago and would like to restore it to stock.
I do not have the usb drive that i used with it and from what i found searching here i'm supposed to
copy the stock image to it to do the recovery.
What do I do to get the image onto it? Can I make another usb drive to use with it?
Re: want torestore tp-link mr3020 back to factory
August 09, 2013 05:53PM
Did you manage to restore your MR3020 after the short chat on IRC?
August 09, 2013 06:34PM
Not yet, It was late here where I live and I fell asleep. I will be tryting later today after some errands, thanks for the help. I'll get on irc tonight.
September 02, 2013 02:38PM
download factory image from tp-link webstie
put router in failsafe mode
telnet in
run firstboot command found in openwrt wiki
install luci
open browser to 192.168.1.1
use system restore/upgrade and select factory image downloaded from tp-link website

or use winscp to place factory image in tmp
ssh in using putty- use mtd -r write command plus factory image location to write the factory image manually.

been a while since i've done this so do alittle research before attempting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 01:27AM by damavox.
September 16, 2013 12:38PM
Thanks you for updating us with this interesting information. you did very great job. keep it up Hope you will share more ideas , I wish you good luck

gphr gphr
phr phr
google certification google certification
mcts mcts
prince2 prince2
ged practice test ged practice test
psat psat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 05:33AM by Jamez99.
Hey there,

I think i borked my install of pirate box and want to start over. I want to restore the router to factory. How do you put the router in failsafe mode? I cannot telnet or ssh to the router at all as of this moment..
I was able to figure it out by searching on youtube. I was also able to get it back to default openwrt install by typing "mtd -r erase rootfs_data" in the command line when i was in failsafe. This let me get back to step 9 successfully and continue from there.
April 21, 2014 10:37PM
I don't know if you were ever successful, but I found bits and pieces of this thread helpful for me. The best I found was here:

[wiki.openwrt.org][]=mr3020&s[]=default

Go down to Failsafe Mode in the doc and follow the directions. It is same as the link here or Matthias' video.

Another failsafe mode reference here:
[wiki.openwrt.org]

Then once in, further down the first link above there is a note about restoring the original firmware. Here's the trick, it wants you to get the firmware from TP-Link, while you are not on a network. Very funny.

The default firmware is here: [www.tp-link.com]
You need to use this one to work.

Unzip it onto a Linux host, or Windows, but you will need an ssh server running to allow scp from your piratebox. After you unzip it, rename it to remove the brackets in the filename. Neither scp from the piratebox likes it or the mtd command below.

Clear your firmware with the note from jp above (mtd -r erase rootfs_data), this is great but you need to reset your password to re-enable ssh, then you need to edit /etc/config/network and re-add your network config.

Reboot and get on your local network, then login to your 3020 and SCP the unzip'ed file from your server to /tmp (scp 192.168.1.10:/tmp/mr3020nv1_en_3_12_11_up120320.bin /tmp - where 192.168.1.10 was my linux server). The OpenWRT doc says to install unzip, which won't work, because you won't have enough space unless you put it in the piratebox tree, which won't work, because you won't have a USB driver installed anymore.

install the default firmware with: mtd -r write /tmp/mr3020*up*.bin firmware

It will reboot automatically into a default config TP-Link. The new IP for it will be 192.168.0.254. l:admin, p:password.
plz tell me step by step to restore original firmware with screenshot

how to install the default firmware with: mtd -r write /tmp/mr3020*up*.bin firmware ???????
plz tell me the step by step to restore firmware.....
install the default firmware with: mtd -r write /tmp/mr3020*up*.bin firmware ?????
plz tell me step by step procedure to restore original firmware from begning with screenshot