Switching between passive WiFi and piratebox AP modes?

Posted by Lazaras 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Switching between passive WiFi and piratebox AP modes?
February 08, 2015 05:23PM
My plan is to build a media center, since why not?

Thing is when it can connect to the internet (ping Google) I want it to be able to connect and do as normal. Would be nice if I could connect to it's address on the network to do admin functions to the piratebox bits while it does its day job.

When it can't find a connection I want it to switch to an active piratebox node (well not with that name and I want to do a few other things like have some static pages, but that's for a different post.)

Bonus points if I can get it to switch back to being a passive connection for the media center again without having to stop playing local media/DVDs/whatever.

This project is because I have had to deal with disconnects and no internet and I would like to be able to put that equipment to use.

That and being able to take an otherwise 'innocent' DVD player and have my group of friends/family/whoever and use it to do stuff with seems pretty awesome.

In case it matters plan on doing this with a raspberry pi 2. I do not know if I am asking too much of the hardware. Have only gotten a vague 'it's a dumb idea, the hardware is underpowered' by people that are plating armchair critic.