Started over with my own image.
December 24, 2018 08:43AM
I posted this in another section first, before deciding that this would be a more appropriate place.

I've been working on my own from-the-ground-up implementation of the piratebox on the Pi. It's reached the point where it works now, and I'm just refining the configuration scripts to make it into an image that can be just copied to SD card and used.

It uses IPFS as the storage engine - that means no awful Droopyness, just simple and reliable file insert ability. It also means that it's half-way to being mesh capable already. I'm not done with that quite yet, but already I seem to be further along the path than the official piratebox, as I started from the foundation of IPFS.

It's not quite ready to share yet, but once it's done, would anyone like to give it a try?
Anyone
Re: Started over with my own image.
January 08, 2019 07:28PM
Yes, please. Share it.
February 13, 2019 06:32PM
I didn't get any feedback on the image posted last time (In the other thread - just noticed I missed it here.) I'll prepare another soon, slightly more refined.
February 14, 2019 01:35PM
There.
[ipfs.io]
Just extract, dd onto a 64GB MicroSD card, and insert into your Pi - tested on 3B and Zero W. default ssh is pi/piratebox.
February 15, 2019 04:27PM
Sounds really cool. Will give it a shot
February 16, 2019 02:17PM
I'm still making some refinements. Also, realized there's a small but crucial flaw in that version, so I'm working on a newer one now. You can still use it for testing, but I've un-pinned it from my IPFS node so it'll quickly go unavailable.
March 23, 2019 11:10PM
Any updates on this.. the official release is driving me nuts
April 07, 2019 06:52AM
Sorry, got sidetracked in other things. I'll get this done today.
April 07, 2019 07:18PM
[ipfs.io]

As promised! It's on IPFS though, so first fetch is going to be a bit slow.
This sounds really amazing and I can't wait for the mesh networking setup.
July 23, 2019 10:08PM
Mesh isn't coming when there's just me to set things up - it'd need to be more of a collaborative project.