My experience with PB 1.1, MR3040 and formatting USB drives

Posted by MasterL 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
My experience with PB 1.1, MR3040 and formatting USB drives
February 27, 2017 02:01AM
Hi
I have been learning a lot playing with my piratebox. At first I couldn't get the piratebox running with the USB drive i bought to work with my MR3040 (cruzer fit 64gb, recommended for form factor).
If you are having trouble getting piratebox to work on your 3040, use the auto_flash procedure, really helped me. Next tip is right when you first telnet in during the install instructions, "cd /mnt/usb" and "ls -la". If you see folders it's a good sign. Next, when you use the box_init_setup.sh command if "4 - enable minidlna" is showing you know that the USB works right and the rest of the post install commands work, follow instructions as normal.
Next thing: I don't know why but my big cruzer fit drive still wouldn't work and I suspected it was because any time I turned off "Quick Format" it would return some error I don't remember. I was using HPUSBDisk.exe and it seemed to be a good utility. The secret is to take the time to actually burn GParted to a disk, and boot to it. It's a great util, very straight forward easy to use. When I booted it showed a "!" icon by my drive's partition. So I erased and made sure the boot sector said MSDOS, FAT32, primary partition, etc. I wasn't ever confused so you gents should be able to figure it out. Reflashed using the auto_flash method + post install commands + copy classic movie library to Shared folder = SWEET WIRELESS DEADDROP!
Now my piratebox has a tiny 64gb flash usb drive! YAY piracy!
Next thing will be to figure out how to personalize the welcome card on the hompage. I've tried a few things and looked around and either I'm not good at reading html with CSS anymore or something because I can sorta get it right. My message displays for half a second when you refresh the page and then the default pops in front. I managed to get the connected clients to display (rocket surgery).
Thanks to Matthias and the other project contributors! Get ahold of me if you are ever in eastern MT USA and I'll buy you a beer or something!