the upload box, and the board

Posted by pesoen 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
the upload box, and the board
May 14, 2017 01:22PM
i have been modifying how my piratebox looks, and it looks great so far according to my weird taste. but i cannot seem to find out where the upload box is located so i can edit it, to do a few things.
1. support drag and drop.
2. look different.

i know it calls piratebox.lan:8080(have not changed the url, but i guess it updates if i change the url to something else) but all i can do is see the code if i open that site on its own, while connected, i have no clue where to find it on my usb or the box itself, using scp..

anyone have any idea where it is at and how to get to it so it can be edited?

That was the upload box, now to the board, is there a way to make it persistent? so it will save between restarts?
i ask because i will have to take it home at times, and remove some of the files that get uploaded to it(as i started small, which seems to be a bad idea) and people keep uploading things. so i have to restart it at times and "clean it up" but then i loose the board that has been made up to that point.

In advance, thanks for the help.
PS: still new to a piratebox, but got it working, and can access anything on it so far, and i am pretty good with HTML and javascripts, so adding drag and drop should be fairly easy once i can get to that part of it, to change it.
Re: the upload box, and the board
May 14, 2017 08:00PM
Hi,
the upload box is provided by a python-server called "droopy". Droopy is started during piratebox startup. The script is located in /opt/piratebox/bin/ . Droopy has the advantage to write the uploaded file directly to the destination and the rename the file instead of steaming it through multiple caches like on lighttpd (I have a patch to test a different behavior, yes.).

What do you mean with board? The board should be persistent. But the Shoutbox, the chat on the start-page is configured to be reseted during startup. You can disable this in /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf
# Reset Shoutbox on Startup?
RESET_CHAT="yes"
Set this to "no" and the shoutbox won't be cleaned up during a startup.

Best regards
Matthias
May 15, 2017 11:52AM
Matthias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> the upload box is provided by a python-server
> called "droopy". Droopy is started during
> piratebox startup. The script is located in
> /opt/piratebox/bin/ . Droopy has the advantage to
> write the uploaded file directly to the
> destination and the rename the file instead of
> steaming it through multiple caches like on
> lighttpd (I have a patch to test a different
> behavior, yes.).
>
> What do you mean with board? The board should be
> persistent. But the Shoutbox, the chat on the
> start-page is configured to be reseted during
> startup. You can disable this in
> /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf
>
> # Reset Shoutbox on Startup?
> RESET_CHAT="yes"
>
> Set this to "no" and the shoutbox won't be cleaned
> up during a startup.
>
> Best regards
> Matthias

thanks for the reply about how it handles uploads. now i might be able to do the modifications i want to the upload system smiling smiley

and with the board, i mean the forum you can enable in while setting it up, and if not enabled, it will redirect you to a page saying you need to enable it before you can access it. i have tried many times to change things around to get it to save, but after every restart, the forum is blank again..

i also recently upgraded the storage of it, so i can now have about 7 gigabytes of files on it, so running out of space should not be an issue..

maybe some way to save the forum/board when something is posted to the html somehow, but still make it easy to remove it all in case i want to start from scratch..
May 15, 2017 12:12PM
Hi,
ok, the forum/imageboard should not be resetted during a restart. This is strange.

Can you verify that this is not a browser cache issue? Did you set it up properly?

best regards Matthias
May 15, 2017 01:18PM
so far every time i have had it shut down, it has deleted all posts on the forum..

could i be shutting it down the wrong way? as i tend to just unplug power to shut it down. should i SSH into it and type in a command instead?

Also will it now save the new droopy if i just upload it using winSCP, or will it default to the old one somewhere?

Just managed to find out. i need to type reboot in SSH before it saves, not sure if that is just me or if that is how you are supposed to do it, bu it works. also the simple copy and replace of the droopy file worked. so no more issues for now.

now to find out how to add drag and drop to the droopy and i will have it set up the way i want it to be set up smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 02:09PM by pesoen.
May 16, 2017 05:03AM
So yes, the easiest way to start the new droopy is a reboot.

Strange with the imageboard. Are normal uploads saved correctly? Both things are located at the same SDCard partition or USB Stick. What do you use?