What's everyone doing with their pirateboxes?

Posted by stayxrestless 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
What's everyone doing with their pirateboxes?
May 21, 2017 04:27AM
Would love to hear about (and see!) what they are being used for in the wild.

There must be a few out there by now!

I must admit, mine are in a drawer but I've got a burst of motivation to get them out into the world— maybe at a train station... hmm solar power... and now I remember why I hesitated... time to go at it again!

Also, as a side question, is the webpage (client side) mobile friendly?

Re: What's everyone doing with their pirateboxes?
May 21, 2017 02:05PM
I'm about to put mine hidden in a display at the front of my retail store, which is in a shopping centre. There's a few eateries in close proximity, all with their own "Free WiFi", increasing the odds someone will find my box. For now I've loaded it with a few PDF's, music tracks and other tidbits. It'll be more or less a long-term experiment to see how others react to it.
Re: What's everyone doing with their pirateboxes?
May 22, 2017 10:16AM
Have alook here, there are some stories: [forum.piratebox.cc]
The personal box I ordered I plan on stress testing at local bars. (I want to see how long it takes for people to figure out it's me and see what gets uploaded.") The big plan had been take it to a gaming convention to promote my blog, but that ruins the anonymity. But I can still put stuff on it.

I also had the idea of putting a library box in our high school with advice from alumni on it. (The initial plan had been sow chaos by hiding it but... I think we should be on the up and up if it can actually help.)

Also I had the idea of putting it in Semi trucks to see what gets uploaded. (Then I wondered if it could model disease out breaks using a program that would ping back when downloaded and get a map of how it spread.)

I have imaginitive idea's but Amazon hasn't shipped my router to me yet.