NTFS support discussion

Posted by TheExpertNoob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
NTFS support discussion
October 18, 2017 03:46AM
I know this was discussed in the IRC many moons ago, but I dont remember why we never implemented it. Every PirateBox install I do, I always add ntfs-3g package to support NTFS. Yes it has more overhead than fat32 but it supports larger file sizes. I cant remember if it was due to openwrt package space (why not add it to overlay/ext) or what. I add it to my rpi installs as they have more memory.

I usually have transmission installed on my RPis so that users can upload torrent files to a specified "watch directory" to be downloaded. (well really just my home box and work box that are connected to the internet. This kinda defeats the purpose of offline)

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2017 03:53AM by TheExpertNoob.
Re: NTFS support discussion
November 26, 2017 07:47AM
NTFS had an unstable support long time ago.
Actually we have to decide either use fat or ntfs. Kernel modules on the extendRoot (on the usb stick's loopback file) do not work properly.. especially not for loading the module from a filesystem we currently have no driver in memory XD
On the small 4MB flash devices, I can get all needed packages hardly into one image file with the latest OpenWrt/LEDE version.

The build chain does not support a different package handling between target architectures/devices. :-(