Iran Censorship and Piratebox workaround?

Posted by foodismedicine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Iran Censorship and Piratebox workaround?
January 02, 2018 01:43AM
I heard in the news that IRAN is either shutting down or blocking certain parts of the internet inside the country, and some other country in Africa during an election is also looking at what IRAN is doing.

Thinking if piratebox is being deployed around the place in IRAN to help get around the Censorship ?
Any thoughts?
Re: Iran Censorship and Piratebox workaround?
January 02, 2018 07:23AM
Hi,
PirateBox is not designed as an alternative (encrypted) ISP. It is designed to serve files/information offline. So, somebody with internet needs to store files for others on the PirateBox.

I can imagine, that using a mix of cjdns and/or Scuttlebutt could be a way. Another option is always the Tor network,

So, Providing ‘real’ internet is a different task then PirateBox was designed for.

Best regards Matthias
January 03, 2018 06:39AM
Yeah, i am aware of what piratebox is designed to do, an offline mini network. What i was meaning was to maybe use piratebox(s) to help spread info/videos around without the internet as its being partly blocked.

That Scuttlebutt looks interesting, i never heard about it before, an online/offline platform with a messaging app and other appssmiling smiley Thats a good idea.
in 2011(?) I heard about some ISP that has dialup access, so you could connect it from a landline using a international number, and get internet access through the ISP in another country to get around website blocking. But it would be really SLOW. Most people would unlikely use this method.
January 03, 2018 05:39PM
So, the answer is yes :-)

There was a group around 2011 which was namened Telecomix or something. These activists made Modem daily in points available for people in Egypt (?). I met one of them years ago on a conference... it was a very hard time for them and they were pretty close to be persecuted by government... although they were located in Europe.

At least that dial in points would be a possibility to get information across the boarder beside the censorship.