Using PirateBox For An Intranet

Posted by Ali 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Ali
Using PirateBox For An Intranet
January 18, 2018 06:23AM
Hi all.

I've been using PirateBox to communicate and share files with my student group. In a few weeks I might be going to a Free Software event and I want to use my PirateBox for creating a LAN.

Here is what I want. I'm running an Apache server on my laptop. If any other computer can connect to the same network with me and type my IP address to his/her web browser, he/she can access my local web server. But I don't want my class to use campus network, I want to use my PirateBox and create a local network. That is, if any computer connected to PirateBox and running a web server, any other connected computer should be able to reach that web server.

I'm aware of that I can send my web site to PirateBox and anyone who's connected can reach it but that's not the point. We're all going to install a web server, create a simple web page and share with each other.

Regards.
Re: Using PirateBox For An Intranet
January 18, 2018 06:13PM
Hi,
yes it will work, but unfortunately we enabled a security feature with the last release which prevents client 2 client communication.
You need to disable AP isolation. Use the OpenWrt Guide or the RPi Guide- in both cases the easiest activation is a simple reboot. After this, the wifi will work in a client to client fashion again.

Then you might want to use a domain for your computer/laptop.
Add a line like this to /opt/piratebox/conf/hosts

my-cool-domain.lan    192.168.1.6

You can choose whatever you want for the domain. The IP should be you laptop's IP (maybe you want to use a static IP instead, but in most cases you will get the same IP during each connect (using the same MAC)). Note: on RPi the IP-range is 192.168.77.x

hope that helps,
best regards
Matthias