Getting hits

Posted by Bobbysalterego 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Getting hits
February 03, 2018 05:00AM
I just finished up my box , raspberry pi 3 with 32 gig thumb drive. I have about 10 movies on it , 40 radio shows and about 15 albums so far. All my files are in directories , so it's easy to navigate through files. anything uploaded will just go into the main browse files folder underneath all the media directories. I think the project idea is awesome and it works great . I can connect with my Xbox one ,phone laptop and tablet.
Now I have brought it out to random spots and still haven't gotten any hits on it. Either I'm doing something wrong or people just don't care or find it interesting. I know if I came across a pirate box on my wifi I would be all about it. Any tips on how to get people to check it out more or even notice it better?
Re: Getting hits
February 03, 2018 06:38PM
Hi,
smartphones had stopped announcing open wifi networks, which makes it difficult for concepts like PirateBox. It helps to deploy the box in areas with no mobile network and/or no wifi.
Or where people are looking for the open wifi at the café.

What does not work in an adhoc situation, like you described, is placing stickers, signs or posters at lamps which give you a physical hint about the PirateBox.

:-(

(in fact, you can barely know if someone connected because you do not have any logs ;-) ).

I know, that this isn't really satisfying.

best regards Matthias
jessica
Re: Getting hits
April 30, 2018 04:09AM
dont think it was invented to "get hits on" ,it was more of a project to have the ability to share info that others or goverment dont want you to have ,like at protests parades,firewalled countries ect. but i get what you mean ,its cool to have people connect ,i live in a downtown area and have tons of hipsters around me so they check into my pirate box almost everyday,it wont be the same in a residential neiborhood