Experience with signal boosters?

Posted by HappySquirrel 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Experience with signal boosters?
May 23, 2012 01:30AM
I've got a 9db gain antenna that I'm going to test with, as opposed to the stock one on my MR-3220.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a signal booster to get more range.

I saw looking at this: http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/sb1000.html, but the reviews are mixed. I was wondering if it was worth it.
Re: Experience with signal boosters?
May 23, 2012 10:28AM
Define "more range?" You don't want the FCC knocking on your door.....

nothing to see here, no longer here.
May 23, 2012 11:58AM
I'm in Canada, so they never will. smiling smiley
May 23, 2012 02:43PM
Well there you go. Boost it!

nothing to see here, no longer here.
May 23, 2012 04:13PM
I have a 16DBi I use for wardriving and I got it to work with the LiveCD version. Was broadcasting a good mile LOL.
May 23, 2012 10:08PM
pabell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Define "more range?" You don't want the FCC
> knocking on your door.....

It shouldn't matter in this case. A beam antenna is a passive device, it just focuses the signal into a particualr direction or plane. The FCC doesn't have a problem with that, since it also reduces your own interference in the null direction of the antenna at the same time.
May 23, 2012 10:31PM
The Amped SB-1000 is actually a 1-watt signal amplifier. My reservation in getting one is that many reviewers said it didn't really make a difference, but in the hands of unskilled installers, they may not have set it up correctly.
May 27, 2012 11:31PM
you can get piratebox on a MR-3220?

deff gonna try that, as i can't get a signal booster on my current one.