Promising Idea

Posted by egamerhdk 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Promising Idea
July 11, 2011 06:15AM
I'm going to try this out. Just two questions for you guys. What can I stream from this? Like, if I have a bunch of movies and stuff.... I don't want to download it in order to watch it. I can see that it can stream mp3's and ogv's(?) fine. Also, what is the biggest difference between doing this using the first and second method besides the chatroom function. The only thing I can tell is that I can plug in multiple drives using the computer method. Thanks in advance.
Re: Promising Idea
July 12, 2011 04:42AM
Also, when you guys get a chance...

I just bought the buffalo router. Never used this OpenWRT thing ever.

Do I need to do all of the steps in the description? or can I just do these 2 steps

1. Websites have said that all I have to do is install OpenWRT (which you can do right in the original firmware of the router as shown in this youtube video [www.youtube.com])

2. Then install mkPirateBox

the place where I'm getting confused is that it says I don't need a computer for this method, but it shows me code to type in. Please help
July 12, 2011 07:49PM
The openWRT thing can depend on the router. Sometimes you can just upload the image in the router firmware, sometimes you need to tftp it to the router. It depends on the router's model and how much of a pain in the neck the router wants to be when you are trying to make it behave.
July 12, 2011 10:46PM
Alright. But, lets say I can do it right from the router... do I need to do the preinstallation things dealing with SSH or something?
July 13, 2011 07:04AM
The preinstallation thing iirc is for using a dockstar/pogoplug. IIRC the router you are using lets you plug the usb drive straight in so you don't need one.

Get dd-wrt running first, then worry about the other stuff.
July 17, 2011 01:42AM
Alright, I'll update any troubles I have when I finally get that router. lol