LEDE piratebox coming to A5-V11 and Zsun

Posted by TheExpertNoob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
LEDE piratebox coming to A5-V11 and Zsun
February 12, 2018 01:08AM
Work in progress. Actually decided to set it up now. Keep an eye on this topic for updates.

LEDE for A5-V11 (no piratebox)
Added F2FS kernel module, tools, and block-mount so that an extroot could be added. Added travelmate scripts and luci module. Enabled WiFi by default. Enabled blue WiFi LED by default. Disabled extraneous LAN ports by default.
Source

To upgrade your A5-V11 from CC to LEDE:
copy the above downloaded file to your A5-V11's USB drive root directory
cp /path/to/usb/lede-17.01.4-ramips-rt305x-a5-v11-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin /tmp/firmware.bin
sysupgrade -n -v /tmp/firmware.bin

THIS WILL ERASE ALL CONFIG FILES! (-n switch)

Give it about 5 mins to update (you should see LEDE as a wifi access point when done)

Then connect an ethernet cable from the A5-V11 to your computer and give that ethernet device on your PC a static IP address of 192.168.1.2 and gateway of 192.168.1.1.

once connected, go to your browser [192.168.1.1] and set up a root password for SSH.

now you should be able to connect via ssh

Edit: Whoops, can this be moved to development.

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 03:47AM by TheExpertNoob.
Re: LEDE piratebox coming to A5-V11 and Zsun
February 12, 2018 04:40AM
Ah, you won’t get the current PirateBox installed, because of missing dependencies.

You need to use the development build, which is already ported to LEDE

Matthias
February 12, 2018 05:13AM
Yea, right now I'm trying to get a good base image... It looks like I will have to abandon LuCi web GUI again. Not enough room to get it and the kernel modules needed as a base to get extroot running. But with SSH enabled now by default no password, dunno why I even bothered with LuCi. I read an article that the A5-v11 actually has 8Mb of flash instead of 4Mb?!? and is trying to access it. It may just be the next gen A5-V11s (blue and white) Source

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
February 12, 2018 10:39PM
I forked the development build of LEDE made a few changes to reflect A5-V11. you can find them on my GitHub. It built a sysupgrade with no errors but haven't flashed to test it. I was unable to get the install_piratebox.zip to build correctly. I will post more details on that once I can get a log of it. (forgot to copy it) From what I can remember, it complained about not being able to create a file, cache lock, something.
make install_zip INSTALL_TARGET=piratebox
Since it looks like we will soon me implementing different Target Devices, How are we going to go about doing that in the makefile? I see where we now have an include folder and what it does.

Update: Grabbed install_piratebox.zip from development (ramips) and used that instead(unzipped install folder to a fat32 drive). Flashed the image successfully. Waited about 30 mins for teh device to set itself up. Logged in and made it through step 1 of post-install.
Well...
there is an opt/piratebox folder, but nothing inside it.
there is a /mnt folder with ext and usb, but nothing inside it.
Hostname shows piratebox.

/etc/config/fstab and NOT /etc/fstab
seems mount wants to use /etc/fstab
config global
        option anon_swap '0'
        option anon_mount '0'
        option auto_swap '1'
        option auto_mount '1'
        option delay_root '5'
        option check_fs '0'

config mount
        option target '/mnt/sda1'
        option uuid '60A9-A1A7'
        option enabled '0'

config mount 'ext1'
        option target '/mnt/usb'
        option device '/dev/sda1'
        option fstype 'auto'
        option options 'umask=0,utf8=1,noatime,rw'
        option enabled_fsck '0'
        option enabled '1'

config pirateswap 'swap'
        option device '/mnt/usb/external_fs/OpenWRT.swap'
        option enabled '1'

config mount 'piratebox'
        option target '/mnt/ext'
        option device '/mnt/usb/external_fs/OpenWRT.img'
        option options 'loop,rw,sync'
        option enabled '1'

config mount 'pirateimage'
        option target '/opt/piratebox'
        option device '/mnt/usb/PirateBox/pbIMG_ws.img'
        option options 'loop'
        option enabled '1'

ls /dev does not show sda or sda1

So list of kernel modules
batman-adv.ko              nf_nat_ipv4.ko
cfg80211.ko                nf_nat_masquerade_ipv4.ko
compat.ko                  nf_nat_redirect.ko
crc-ccitt.ko               nf_reject_ipv4.ko
crc-itu-t.ko               nf_reject_ipv6.ko
crc16.ko                   nls_base.ko
crc32c_generic.ko          nls_cp437.ko
crypto_hash.ko             nls_cp850.ko
eeprom_93cx6.ko            nls_iso8859-1.ko
ehci-hcd.ko                nls_iso8859-15.ko
ehci-platform.ko           nls_utf8.ko
ext4.ko                    ohci-hcd.ko
fat.ko                     ohci-platform.ko
gpio-button-hotplug.ko     rt2800lib.ko
ip6_tables.ko              rt2800mmio.ko
ip6t_REJECT.ko             rt2800soc.ko
ip6table_filter.ko         rt2x00lib.ko
ip6table_mangle.ko         rt2x00mmio.ko
ip_tables.ko               rt2x00soc.ko
ipt_MASQUERADE.ko          scsi_mod.ko
ipt_REJECT.ko              sd_mod.ko
iptable_filter.ko          usb-common.ko
iptable_mangle.ko          usb-storage.ko
iptable_nat.ko             usbcore.ko
jbd2.ko                    vfat.ko
leds-gpio.ko               x_tables.ko
libcrc32c.ko               xt_CT.ko
loop.ko                    xt_LOG.ko
mac80211.ko                xt_REDIRECT.ko
mbcache.ko                 xt_TCPMSS.ko
nf_conntrack.ko            xt_comment.ko
nf_conntrack_ipv4.ko       xt_conntrack.ko
nf_conntrack_ipv6.ko       xt_limit.ko
nf_conntrack_rtcache.ko    xt_mac.ko
nf_defrag_ipv4.ko          xt_mark.ko
nf_defrag_ipv6.ko          xt_multiport.ko
nf_log_common.ko           xt_nat.ko
nf_log_ipv4.ko             xt_state.ko
nf_log_ipv6.ko             xt_tcpudp.ko
nf_nat.ko                  xt_time.ko

no /var/log/messages

sda and sda1 did appear at one time in /dev. How else would it have run scripts to set itself up? Suggestions for further troubleshooting tips?

while booted, removeing and reinserting the usb stick, sda/sda1 now show up in /dev
[   33.161561] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
[   35.001772] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[   35.039245] device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
[   35.095369] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
[   35.108519] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   35.119697] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   37.111470] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[   68.751551] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[ 1633.204118] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 1636.961441] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[ 1637.128388] usb-storage 1-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 1637.162253] scsi host1: usb-storage 1-1:1.0
[ 1638.173599] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Fit       1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 1638.197703] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 62521344 512-byte logical blocks: (32.0 GB/29.8 Gicool smiley
[ 1638.215692] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[ 1638.225466] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[ 1638.227606] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 1638.279711]  sda: sda1
[ 1638.297178] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[ 1638.729744] FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Finicky drive maybe?
Pastebin of dmesg

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 01:57AM by TheExpertNoob.
February 13, 2018 06:54PM
Is the power source sufficient? It looks like that during that boot the USB stick wasn't detected properly, or suddenly was removed by the system. /dev/sda1 should stay even there are mounting issues.

make install_zip INSTALL_TARGET=piratebox
Will only work, after doing at least

make imagebuilder
make <one imagename> => make MR3020
You may need to add additional parameters if you want to build a different ARCH, like

make imagebuilder  TARGET=rampis TARGET_TYPE=mt7620
make GLMT300 TARGET=rampis TARGET_TYPE=mt7620
make  install_zip INSTALL_TARGET=piratebox GLMT300 TARGET=rampis TARGET_TYPE=mt7620

all best, Matthias
Thanks for trying!
February 14, 2018 02:34AM
Power shouldn't be an issue. I'm using a 5v-2A supply I use with my Pi3 and have never had problems with it in the past.
I did however notice it had the dirty bit upon inserting the thumb drive into my windows machine. After letting windows "repair the drive" I looked over my install.log, glanced really, and saw no errors. I also created a symbolic link so that /etc/fstab pointed to /etc/config/fstab. boooted the A5-V11 with the clean drive inserted... still no sda/sda1 showing up in dev.on boot. confused smiley I may find another method. Soooooo close. but... more troubleshooting must be done.

Edit: Welp, after a reboot command... the usb was detected at boot, the loops are mounted.... but its lost further into boot up. no mention of it in the dmesg... device reboots(by itself and loose network connection) and upon second reboot sequence no sda which leads no no mounting of loops.
install.log if interested.

I do see toward the end some usb resets. It may very well be a power hungry usb drive.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 02:58AM by TheExpertNoob.
February 14, 2018 03:26AM
Trying a complete re-build
make imagebuilder  TARGET=ramips TARGET_TYPE=rt305x
make a5-v11 TARGET=ramips TARGET_TYPE=rt305x
make  install_zip INSTALL_TARGET=piratebox a5-v11 TARGET=ramips TARGET_TYPE=rt305x

will report back.

install_zip build error

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 03:31AM by TheExpertNoob.
February 14, 2018 07:04PM
Hi,
can I get the full log of these three steps. It seems that the image creation step from before was not finished properly.

I think I need a complete boot log via attached serial connection to identify what is wrong :-/

PS: Do not link /etc/config/fstab to /etc/fstab ! Those files are totally different. :-(

Matthias
February 15, 2018 01:02AM
Lol, yea. I wasn't thinking /etc/config/fstab is totally UCI based, /etc/fstab is standard UNIX format. I dunno what I was thinking there.

Anyway. here is the log for the build and console output. It may take some time to get a serial cable wired in for the A5-V11.

I may move to the z-sun since I have one of those already wired up for serial and see if it gives me the same problem. I just have to find it.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 01:12AM by TheExpertNoob.
February 15, 2018 05:08AM
Thank you for providing that log. That helps.
Q: Did you create an make include for TARGET=ramips TARGET_TYPE=rt305x = In only have TARGET=ramips TARGET_TYPE=mt7620
(Obviously, because you use the make target a5-v11 )

Can you please post your include member?
I guess, that there is a configuration issue:

This is the expected rootfs path (shortended):
lede-imagebuilder-.../build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl-1.1.16/root-ramips

This is what our makefile assumes (which is hardcoded in the .mk file)
lede-imagebuilder-...//build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl-1.1.16/root-ramips/

This is the reason why the install_zip creation fails

best regards Matthias

edit: Thank you for adding a new build target. I am glad to see that some people are makeing use of it!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 05:09AM by Matthias.
February 15, 2018 02:15PM
include file

ah a5-v11 is mipsel instead of mips. Hmm is there a way to set makefile to choose which .mk file to use instead of stringing out Target, target_Type, Arch, ect?

Also, install_zip fails again trying to find
http://stable.openwrt.piratebox.de/piratebox_images/piratebox_ws_1.2_img.tar.gz
changed to
http://development.piratebox.de/piratebox_ws_1.2_img.tar.gz

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 02:44AM by TheExpertNoob.
February 17, 2018 07:30AM
You can set the ARCH variable to the correct value in the include. It will overwrite the default then.
February 17, 2018 02:17PM
Ive gotten successful builds now across the board. But still no successful install. It seems to half-ass-it each time I start from a fresh image flash. I will try to get a serial cable installed this weekend.

Github has also been updated to reflect the successful builds. But I dont want to commit it to your branch until I get a successful install.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 02:19PM by TheExpertNoob.
February 17, 2018 03:23PM
So I have discovered a 217k tmp file inside /opt/piratebox/ that may be preventing the pbIMG_ws.img from mounting on boot. How it gets there, I haven't found that yet. /dev/sda1(/mnt/usb) and /dev/loop0(/mnt/ext) are now mounting just fine. But the log shows that /dev/loop1 (/opt/piratebox) fails to mount. I can only assume it is because the directory is not empty with that tmp file in there.

Found where that tmp file is coming from possibly. Line 197 here. Not sure if that is correct, but IT WOULD still put a tmp file there even if the ws.img isn't mounted... and names it tmp instead of putting it in a tmp directory.

Here is a dump of the serial console from reflash of a build image with a fresh install folder on a USB drive. (as it would be doing a sysupgrade with install folder on usb drive). Tis a bit long, but I did not see anything mentioning the fail mount of the pbIMG_ws.img.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 08:32PM by TheExpertNoob.
February 18, 2018 12:58PM
Hi,
pretty good analysis. I guess you found the root cause for not mounting /opt/piratebox.
Unfortunately the boot.log is not as much helpful then I hoped... but you can see that the last boot iterations loop1 is not created, which follows your observation.

You can test if the file "tmp" if preventing a proper mount with running

/etc/init.d/piratebox restart
(or stop&start)
You should see error messages

I opened an issue to keep track of the problem.

But the question is: why is the opkg step from the auto-installer running so fast before the bootup was able to mount /opt/piratebox properly. This might be a result of a faster router-board/cpu - or a concurrency issue of procd (new init.d system of openwrt /lede)

best regards Matthias
February 18, 2018 03:09PM
/etc/init.d/piratebox restart
/etc/rc.common: line 146: /opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox_alt: not found
mount: mounting /dev/loop1 on /opt/piratebox failed: Invalid argument
/etc/init.d/piratebox: ERROR: unable to mount piratebox image

piratebox_alt can't run if it can't mount
What is the manual mount of the pbIMG_ws.img? Its kinda hard to follow with all the define names sometimes spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Tried
mount -o loop /mnt/usb/PirateBox/pbIMG_ws.img /opt/piratebox/
mount: mounting /dev/loop1 on /opt/piratebox/ failed: Invalid argument

Edit: Tried losetup /dev/loop1 /mnt/usb/PirateBox/pbIMG_ws.img and found out pbIMG_ws.img is zero bytes. Is it supposed to be? Research tells me no. So it may seem my problem stems back to the install_piratebox.zip creation. I'll look into it. (piratebox_ws_1.2_img.tar.gz should be 239kb not 0b) Now lets find out why. My shotty internet in the US? Ah! It stems back from my building install_piratebox.zip problems a while back. Since it was looking in the stable branch instead of the development branch, it created a zero byte file, but never actually downloaded anything. Since I forgot to do a make clean, when I got a successful install_piratebox.zip built it used the old zero byte file. :-\

Edit2: Well now im back to where I was before. sda only showing up after a re-plug and not on a reboot.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 05:31PM by TheExpertNoob.
February 19, 2018 08:01AM
Ok, the 0byte file is really the reason for the issue.
To solve this, I recommend starting from the beginning with a reflash over trying to fix it somehow.

Can you confirm that the .img file is now correct in your install folder?

Best regards Matthias
February 19, 2018 10:50PM
I did a fresh git pull from my repository, built the image and install zip successfully. Confirmed everything was correct in the zip file. Loaded everything on a flash drive. sysupgrade the newly built image. Install goes through everything except piratebox-mod-imageboard & extendRoot-minidlna (still shows in auto_package) The usb and it's files look in order. But at this point, nothing,no sda (no mnt/usb) not even the swap or ext get mounted for obvious reasons. OpenWRT.img is ~102MB; OpenWRT.swap is ~32MB; pbIMG_ws.img is ~52MB. Checked the file contents by manually mounting them. Everything seems to be in place. usb/PirateBox even has all its files besides the populated imageboard.

Here is the most recent install.log. I don't see anything out of the ordinary besides the occasional USB reset, but doesn't seem to affect the installation of .ipk files where I see them. (No errors in configuring them)

I have attempted two more fresh reflashes/installs on two other thumb drives (a much older USB2.0 and a different USB3.0) With the exact same outcome. Stuck on install of the imageboard, noting mounting once I reach that step and no sda(sd*) appearing in /dev on boot, but it will show up on a replug. Maybe there is a bug with the ehci-platform driver?

I may try disabling the ehci-driver and bump it down to 1.1 speeds, but I have a feeling I might end up with more issues. I may also try a rebuild with 17.01.4 just to see what happens? It the version number hard coded anywhere but in the openwrt-image-build makefile?

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's
February 20, 2018 09:27AM
Mh.
Sun Feb 18 16:52:55 2018 kern.info kernel: [  429.231479] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
Sun Feb 18 16:53:35 2018 kern.info kernel: [  468.271492] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
Sun Feb 18 16:53:35 2018 kern.info kernel: [  468.963516] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x03 driverbyte=0x00
Sun Feb 18 16:53:35 2018 kern.info kernel: [  468.979996] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 00 45 51 00 00 7f 00
Sun Feb 18 16:53:35 2018 kern.err kernel: [  468.995220] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 17745
This totally reads like an USB issue... and if you tried multiple USB sticks, I guess the device has some issue with the USB host chip/adapter/whatsoever. :-(

You can verify that using commands like dd to write a higher bunch of data to the USB stick and see at which point it breaks :-o

confused smiley

best regards Matthias
May 26, 2018 02:36PM
Just a few months later, and I have no recollection of doing this. Anyway, A5-V11 is being moved to be used as a Nintendo Switch Payload device.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's
Hi guys,
Is this the end of the road for PBox on the A5-V11? I suppose if there is an issue related to the USB controller, someone (possibly me) should check if the issue is also present on some other A5-V11 devices?
Thanks

Francis
August 16, 2018 12:48AM
Francis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi guys,
> Is this the end of the road for PBox on the
> A5-V11? I suppose if there is an issue related to
> the USB controller, someone (possibly me) should
> check if the issue is also present on some other
> A5-V11 devices?
> Thanks
>
> Francis

Not the END really. I have just been EXTREMELY busy working 50 hours/week and on other projects. I may soon get back on this and get LEDE supported (with USB fixed). Also I have a GL.iNet GL-AR300M-Lite Mini Travel Router inbound from newegg's Flash Sale ($13) Here if you catch it in time.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's
November 15, 2019 04:13AM
YEET! So LEDE 19.07 I believe is the last supported version for A5-V11? I'll see what I can do with that in my spare time.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's