Using a phone as a repeater?

Posted by ParaBellam 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Using a phone as a repeater?
January 19, 2014 04:14PM
EDIT: Never mind, I didn't see mesh networking. My bad. Ignore this post.

Hi. I'm new here. First post, actually.

I had an idea of using a phone as a repeater. Say you have two PirateBoxes planted permanently, but with overlapping coverage. Would it be possible to write a script for a phone (android) that would download data from one PirateBox, then connect to the other one, and upload this data to the other PirateBox?

This way, you could have a web of PirateBoxes, carrying the same information.

It would be two-way ideally, so if PB1 has info that PB2 doesnt, PB2 will get it. If PB2 has info that PB1 doesnt, PB1 will get it.

Of course, the phone would need a power supply as well. I was just wondering if this could be another interesting idea.

You could maybe even use an Arduino.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 04:26PM by ParaBellam.
Re: Using a phone as a repeater?
March 26, 2014 08:26PM
mirroring with heartbeat for failover (I think thats what it was called when I saw it on howtoforge.com ) is done on some servers to ensure webpages are still available if one server fails. might be able to adapt that approach in situations where mesh isnt working for some reason. how to adapt this to android I have no clue.
Suricou Raven
Re: Using a phone as a repeater?
April 16, 2014 09:17PM
You might not even need overlapping coverage, if you have someone traveling between them on a regular basis. I think you could cobble something together with rsync.