This is so neat, but ...

Posted by Bob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Bob
This is so neat, but ...
June 24, 2014 08:22AM
Any chance we can make this work in something like virtualbox to run in windows as opposed to alternate boot?

Right now if start PirateBoxManager it fails becuase it doesn't see wlan0. Vbox tells the system it's connected via an ethernet port in the emulation. I tried a quick mod to change wlan0 to eth0 in the configure options, but then my network connection dropped. I'm guessing I need some kind LAN setting adjustments.

Even just a quick a pointer on what to change where via nano would be usefull.

I'm thinking as neat as a live boot is for an on the go setting, having something up and running for fun wth my housemates and neighboors that could run all the time in the backround would be sweet. Out here in the islands having a small mesh network could be very usefull during internet outages and what not.
Re: This is so neat, but ...
December 20, 2014 06:39AM
I think what happens is that the device(wireless network card) gets disconnected from the host OS and acts like it's directly connected to the guest OS. A don't know enough about Virtualbox to suggest a fix but a possible workaround is to get an external wireless card and use that instead. That way, each OS would have its own network card and you can keep the connection while running the virtual machine.
I hope that helps. Good luck!
Re: This is so neat, but ...
December 23, 2014 01:29AM
I know about KVM, not virtualbox, but the issue is llikely the same. Two choices: 1 set up a bridged interface with dnsmasq running on the laptop or 2, better, IMO, set up a bridged interface that expsoes the guest directly to the network. Instructions are here: http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking .

Another Bob