Raspberry pi 3 movie streaming

Posted by j4ckysm4cky 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Raspberry pi 3 movie streaming
August 16, 2016 07:10AM
Hi I am quite new to piratebox and tried to stream movie from it but however it doesn't seem fast enough to stream the movie making it lag. Is there any way to make it run faster? Thanks
Re: Raspberry pi 3 movie streaming
August 16, 2016 08:10PM
I have streamed movies previously from my MR3020 without problem and that hardware is weaker than a Raspberry. I have just tried again, streaming a ripped .avi to my phone, no lag at all.

I don't remember if I have tried a 1080p movie, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Is it an HD movie you are trying to steam? With 802.11n network shouldn't be a problem though.

Ubuntuhak, playing and tinkering with Ubuntu!
August 17, 2016 06:41AM
Right now currently im using the normal wifi card on the raspberry pi 3 not sure if it is my usb drive slowing it down or my wifi card
August 20, 2016 12:28AM
Oh I forgot to tell you. The video I'm trying to stream is a 1280x720 around 20min long
August 27, 2016 10:26AM
You can try t use another USB stick and see if it makes a difference. The network itself should be more than enough to stream a 720p movie, the length shouldn't be a limiting factor.
I'm not sure if the file format would make a difference, what format are you streaming?

Ubuntuhak, playing and tinkering with Ubuntu!
September 20, 2016 04:14PM
The CPU shouldnt be here the limiting factor. Like Nagren said, USB performance could be weak.
I want to throw another suggestion in: Your wifi channel is crowded and you get a poor performance because other communication is going on the same channel.
October 03, 2016 05:51AM
Thanks for helping me guys. I found out that the problem was Wifi Channel crowding because it performed smoothly in certain areas in the house but in other places it performed very poorly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 06:01AM by j4ckysm4cky.
Check on the Piratebox Config (on the newer piratebox images) I believe there is an option in there (if your wireless devie supports it) to enable ACS? (Auto Chanel Selection) it takes a few seconds at startup but it scans the channels and slects the least congested one. (Weighted of course towards 1,6, and 11.)