Piratebox with Dual Wi-Fi possible?

Posted by fitsum 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Piratebox with Dual Wi-Fi possible?
August 03, 2017 05:49PM
I'd like to use one wifi connection for clients using my rpi-based piratebox and another wifi connection for connecting to the rest of the internet. the goal is to access internet services from a piratebox without involving another rpi that I'd connect to via ethernet. I'm not very knowledgeable about networking generally.

feel free to point me to online resources or previously given answers

thanks
I am embarking on a similar journey myself.

I want the Pi to be wearable and always on. When at home, church, etc it will scrape data from Twitter, News Sites, Blogs, etc and keep only the barest of data from each, providing the data in various "sub sites" on the piratebox while offline. (I regularly go camping in the mountains where there is neither Wifi noor Celular.)

I will report back when I have succeeded! :-)

Cheers!
Re: Piratebox with Dual Wi-Fi possible?
March 11, 2019 07:34PM
First of all, you need enough power on your RPi that you can power both wifi cards.
Then you need to find out the name of the 2nd wifi card. You can try using
iw dev
You should see two entries.
Then you need to create a netctl file, you find Netctl-Howto on [wiki.archlinux.org] and "enable" it.

This should bring you up the network connectivity, there might be some additional steps to add a dns server name entry to /etc/resolv.conf , but I am not sure at the moment.

Matthias
Re: Piratebox with Dual Wi-Fi possible?
March 14, 2019 06:55AM
Wow