Returning MR3040 (or other TP-Link routers) back to original factory firmware [Solved]

Posted by nec240 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Hello,

I tried the above and got to Step 6, but PuTTY keeps returning "cannot reach network"

I tried Lonewolf's workaround and got to Step 9, but when I ls the directory it returns "directory is empty", even though it most certainly is not (the new .bin file is definitely on the USB key when I plug it into my PC).

I've been stuck with trying to reinstall the original firmware for days, and none of the solutions online seem to work. Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Alex
Hi Alex11,

I had the exact same problem and ended up unbricked my router in order to have it back to his original firmware. Perhaps the problem comes with the partionning of the usb stick? Try format it with gparted on linux (you can dowload a live version if you don't have installed somewhere). Then, reput the firmware on it and try again Lonewolf's procedure.

Best
Hello,

What is the safest method to flash my TP-LINK MR3420 back to its original firmware without bricking it?

Thank you.

Snipy
Any help please smiling smiley
taipan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go to
> [www.friedzombie.com]
> e/
> see on your router label the hardware version V1,
> V2 ...
> download firmware for your router
> extract zip archive and copy bin file to your usb
> flash drive
> telnet 192.168.1.1 with putty.exe
>
> cd /mnt/usb
> sysupgrade TL-MR3040-V1-FW0.0.3-stripped.bin
>
>
> same procedure for other tp-link rourter

I've successfully restored my TP-LINK MR3420 using this procedure. Thank you so much smiling smiley
Returning MR3020 (or other TP-Link routers) back to original factory firmware

I try to restore TP-link 3020 v1 back to original fw but now LED light alway blink .
Power, internal, wifi, Lan, WPS
1 ,1,1,1,1
loop
Re: Returning MR3040 (or other TP-Link routers) back to original factory firmware [Solved]
October 24, 2015 07:15AM
if it is in exactly that intervall, you have flashed your device wrongly.
You need a serial cable and recover it. You find more information here: [wiki.openwrt.org]

This is only my signature.
I've ordered a refub MR3040 V1 (Ebay) and I'm wondering how to tell if I've really got a Version 1.?.
Is it on a label inside the unit?

Link to Ebay refurb MR3040
I've downloaded openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3040-v1-squashfs-factory.bin,
Putty and moved the unzipped install_piratebox folder to the 16gb USB stick..

I'm hoping not to brick this thing. So, I'll be reading here for a few days.. smiling smiley

Cheers,
Rich
Don't restore the original TP-MR3420 firmware. It sucks, wifi problems the router has to be restarted every few hours. Install OpenWRT, it works great at my place for more then 6 month. Check out this tutorial [myhacktips.com]
Was able to restore original FW on my MR3040 V2.4 without much issues!
1. Note there's a newer firmware (TL-MR3040_V2_150921) my guess is doing dd on it might be A BAD IDEA. So just download TL-MR3040_V2_131121 and follow the guide.
2. No need to run our own webserver if you have a hosted website smiling smiley
Just wget firmware file from there.
3. Default web interface IP is incorrect in this guide. It's 192.168.0.1.
I, for the life of me, cannot get the usb to recognize.. I have tried 2 smaller ones.. Some info is missing for the TL nubs....

What does the selector on the side have to be set to? To the 3g/4g where it is reading the USB? Or any of them? Or AP?

I assume you need to format the usb to fat? or fat32? exFat? Max USB size? Minimum? should the TL be plugged in to any interfaces, such as my laptop where I was telnetting???

How can I fix the route issue so that I can use the web server? I can the device, but not my computer, and they are directly connected sad smiley with DHCP... I am trying to go from WRT back to the stock TL as I couldn't find a definitive way to make the extender/LO3 personal hotspot(Leeching Off Of Others) ... And it would be nice to know how to flash this thing and reflash... Thanks in advance..
j0nnyf1v3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I, for the life of me, cannot get the usb to
> recognize.. I have tried 2 smaller ones.. Some
> info is missing for the TL nubs....
>
> What does the selector on the side have to be set
> to? To the 3g/4g where it is reading the USB? Or
> any of them? Or AP?
>
> I assume you need to format the usb to fat? or
> fat32? exFat? Max USB size? Minimum? should the TL
> be plugged in to any interfaces, such as my laptop
> where I was telnetting???
>
> How can I fix the route issue so that I can use
> the web server? I can the device, but not my
> computer, and they are directly connected sad smiley with
> DHCP... I am trying to go from WRT back to the
> stock TL as I couldn't find a definitive way to
> make the extender/LO3 personal hotspot(Leeching
> Off Of Others) ... And it would be nice to know
> how to flash this thing and reflash... Thanks in
> advance..

Well Duh. It has to be connected... LOL... I was smokin at the time.... Oops... I just booted into Parrot and formatted the USB to ext4, which is native to the OS that I am working with... Jesus.. That was some strong shit... My bad yall... I am answering each one of the above myself, with a different strain.. winking smiley>
Good morning all

I'm trying to revert tp-link mr3220 back to original software, I have latest firmware downloaded already, do I rename firmware and to what, then place in root folder of flash stick.

I'm very new to this. Could someone give me a step by step instructions

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated
I unfortunately upgraded firmware which was buggy and the router responded abnormally, neither wifi signals does it provide nor reset button works, and somehow i can't find the original firmware so that i could upload, finally i tried to connect my router via lan cable and due to fortunate information i accessed it on 192.168.1.1 which earlier was 192.162.0.254 and somehow getting access through and probably after getting original firmware i hope i can recover it back...