PB in usa could be illegal soon.

Posted by damavox 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PB in usa could be illegal soon.
September 27, 2015 07:19PM
The FCC has released new rules that could make openwrt router illegal in the USA.
[www.wired.com]

We need help!
Re: PB in usa could be illegal soon.
September 29, 2015 02:33AM
I feel like it would be hard to enforce this.
September 29, 2015 02:37AM
Not really since it's done at the manufacturing level and all devices require a FCC license prior to sale.

If this does go into effect, the only option for Americans will be to either A. keep their old devices or B. Buy from china.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 02:38AM by damavox.
September 29, 2015 11:05PM
Made sticky.
If it won't be allowed in the USA, other countries will lose the option for that too..

thanks for the heads up

This is only my signature.
October 26, 2015 12:45AM
Actually what they are saying is

"so that third parties are not able to reprogram the device to operate outside the parameters for which the device was certified.”

keyword is "certified" they are talking about the radio and the ability to make it interfere with other radios and wifi networks via software changes.

openwrt and piratebox etc do not make changes to the functionality of the radio output so they will be fine and not affected by these proposed changes.

-Matt
October 26, 2015 06:18PM
Nope, because the operating system is able to modify the parameters of the wifi card -even today!

[finance.yahoo.com]

FCC saner software practices - Bufferbloat letter (good stuff to read)

This is only my signature.
October 29, 2015 01:57AM
Well we still have Raspberry Pi, and tons of thousends of routers even a linux distro of the pirate which needs some fixes but still an option. The antenas are cheap winking smiley
They can still try to prohibit it, which I think I can understand is done with security in mind but has some kind of element of free will violation which I don't like, but who cares I still do tones of things which are supposed to be "illegal" ROFL as most of the people do. F*ck it Who Cares winking smiley Have a nice day/night! GL & HL
October 29, 2015 02:04AM
Now I feel better... hot smiley the rage is dropping down again smiling bouncing smiley
October 29, 2015 02:05AM
Matt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually what they are saying is
>
> "so that third parties are not able to reprogram
> the device to operate outside the parameters for
> which the device was certified.”
>
> keyword is "certified" they are talking about the
> radio and the ability to make it interfere with
> other radios and wifi networks via software
> changes.
>
> openwrt and piratebox etc do not make changes to
> the functionality of the radio output so they will
> be fine and not affected by these proposed
> changes.
>
> -Matt

Now I feel better... hot smiley the rage is dropping down again smiling bouncing smiley