TP-LINK TL-MR3040 issue

Posted by doomgoon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
TP-LINK TL-MR3040 issue
August 22, 2017 09:38PM
Hey everyone,

I have an old TL-MR3040 Piratebox (running 1.0.0 or 1.0.1), the problem is I have no idea where the USB stick is or what the password is. I have been attempting to either flash it back to OG firmware and reinstall or upgrade to current PB release. I am currently running Ubuntu.

What I have done/attempted:
1. downloaded Install folder and (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3040-v2-squashfs-factory.bin) file and placed them on new flash drive
2. Changed wired Ethernet connection to manual + IPv4 address to 192.168.1.2
3. I am not able to connect via web portal
4. I am able to ping 192.168.1.1, however I cannot telnet in (telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused). I can use SSH root, but then I am asked for a password which I'm assuming is my original one I cant remember.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Re: TP-LINK TL-MR3040 issue
August 23, 2017 06:49PM
Technical FAQ - check out the Q:
I removed all the files from my USB stick and I'm not able to connect anymore. Is it bricked?

best regards Matthias
September 08, 2017 12:09AM
Hopefully not, but possibly.

I followed the steps from the FAQ guide, I am able to get a response from the ping (I am running OSX now), however it still will not allow me to telnet in:

telnet: connect to address 192.168.1.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

If the device is bricked, is it totally useless?
September 09, 2017 01:45PM
Did you try to ssh into the box?
telnet is disabled after setting a root password... and if receive a connection refused message when you try to enter the failsafe mode, then you are not in the failsafe mode.

If you stay connected to your home router (eg via wifi) then you might have an address conflict (you reach your router with 192.168.1.1 instead of the piratebox).

best regards Matthias
September 09, 2017 02:19PM
I can ssh in (IP 192.168.1.1 pinging correctly when rebooting the 3040 / home router shut off)

I get the RSA key fingerprint.

However I am not sure if I had a username attached to SSH in with, and even though I remember the passwords I was using at the time none seem to be working.
September 17, 2017 01:34PM
Try to reflash you device using Reflash with USB-HowTo.