Finishing a long delayed project

Posted by greybeard 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Finishing a long delayed project
April 13, 2018 11:30PM
Going back to the very early days of Piratebox, I decided that I would have to build one of these. And did so. When it came to building the system, that went fairly well. Up to the point of configuring the Web server. I'd plenty of experience in buiding systems in Unix, but never in the field of the user interface. In the end, although the thing was working as it should, up to that point, I never took it the last mile. Now, my conscience says that I should finish the job. I dug out all the required info, and connected up to a spare PC, through wifi. and it worked. However, from that point I'm stuck. The original notes required that I should ssh to the box with the command ssh root@piratebox ( the hostname, I had changed), but I got the message "Connection refused". Trying telnet, with the command telnet 192.168.1.1, got me in. With username 'root'. and the correct password, I was logged in with the appropriate prompt #. all seemed normal, I could navigate around the system. What I could not do was issue a command to create. (as example mkdir /mnt/share) as the next step. Tried touch, I tried creating a test text with vi, and got back "read only". I'm rather stuck, here. I seem to be root, but without the root ability.