Introducing PirateBox 1.0
May 30, 2014 04:08AM
Hi Everyone,

Matthias and I are VERY proud to announce the release of PirateBox 1.0 and our shiny new PirateBox.cc website! Please take the site for a spin and check out our new pages, tutorials and PirateBox media (photos, videos, press, audio).

New PirateBox Features
PirateBox 1.0 has been rebuilt from the ground up. New features include a responsive UI for easy viewing, chatting, and file sharing on phones and tablets and a built-in UPnP media server which automatically streams uploaded video and audio files to all PirateBox users on the local network.

PirateBox 1.0 also now comes standard with an Image and Message Board similar to 4chan. And of course, it still offers a chat room for anonymous communications and a browser-based file sharing system.

Box Installer
Perhaps most excitingly, PirateBox 1.0 comes with a brand new “box-installer” which radically simplifies the process of building or updating your PirateBox. In most cases, you should be able to build and start using your new PirateBox in only a few short steps. Special props to Matthias who has worked tirelessly on this version of PirateBox!

You can start building or upgrading a new PirateBox 1.0 by following this tutorial.

PirateBox on Android
Also a special shout out to Jochen Ruehl who has just launched the PirateBox Android app on Google Play.

PirateBox Camp 2014
Lastly, you are all cordially invited to join us July 12-13 in Lille, France for PirateBox Camp 2014. PirateBox Camp brings together the PirateBox community of developers, contributors and users for a free (as in beer and freedom) weekend of hacking, learning and networking.

This is the second annual PirateBox Camp - PirateBox Camp 2013 was held in Berlin July 20-21 2013 at NYU’s Berlin Academic Center in Prenzlauer Berg. The camp brought together developers, contributors, and artists from seven countries. Participants gave presentations, shared forks of the project and worked on the PirateBox project face-to-face over two productive days.

Be sure to check out GuGuss’ amazing video of PirateBox Camp 2013!

And learn more about this year’s camp by following @pirateboxcamp. If you’d like to join us, please drop us a line at camp[at]piratebox.cc
Matthias-temp
Re: Introducing PirateBox 1.0
May 31, 2014 08:27AM
Hi,
due to an unknown reason, the forum login doesn't work in every case. I'm looking into it.

regards
Matthias
May 31, 2014 08:43AM
Hi,
it seems that it is working within normal parameters now.
Please report back, if there are still some issues.

Matthias
Just finished upgrading my PirateBox and I must say that I am very impressed with the look and feel of PirateBox 1.0. Congratulations on a job well done.

Question: When will FTP be implemented?

Bob Medley
One comment on the PirateBox Upgrade Tutorial --- I wasn't sure whether or not I was supposed to use a clean USB stick with just the install folder and the firmware upgrade file, OR copy the install folder and the firmware upgrade file to my existing USB stick. I discovered that I should copy the install folder and the firmware upgrade file to my existing USB stick when the clean USB stick with required upgrade files did not work. Perhaps a note in the tutorial should be made to indicate this.

Otherwise, the Upgrade Tutorial was well written, and easy to understand.

Thanks for all you do

Bob Medley
June 09, 2014 04:24PM
Thanks for you feedback, I'll discuss that with David to make this point more clear!

about the FTP feature, I don't give an ETA winking smiley but I already ported a few things back from LibraryBox.

Matthias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:25PM by Matthias.
June 25, 2014 09:07PM
First of all, this is an awesome project. I bought a TP-Link MR3040 + SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB just for this and I had it up and running without even blinking. Great job!

I was wondering, where did you come up with the idea for this? I remember a thread a big while back on 4Chan (and later a tinychat or something similar) discussing this wireless mesh network as a back-up or alternative for the internet. Snowball chance in hell you guys are the same guys I spoke to those nights, but I just wanted to say you made a small dream come true with this initiative, keep it up!
June 26, 2014 04:49AM
HI,
thank you for you positive feedback smoking smiley

It was build from David Darts to solve a problem in his university. He wasn't able to share material for his media-class at the art university using the university server because of several issues.
That was the reason for creating this concept smiling smiley

Everything else (imageboard, upnpmedia-server) is developed based upon user feedback smiling smiley

Matthias

This is only my signature.
July 26, 2014 10:44PM
after an installation of the piratebox apk on my portable android device [forum.piratebox.cc]

i'm proud to say: there is a other piratebox in France, departement of Cantal !!! A little wr703n with the 1.0 soft and a little space of 4gb , my first one. https://diasp.eu/people/282bca00f2fc0131c5e8543d7ed6cc36

All work perfectly. Next month, the purchase of a solar battery of 50000mah

Question, There is a map with the locations of piratebox ?

Thanksfor the app dev.
February 01, 2015 01:35PM
Hi I can't get piratebox installation working.I followed instructions to the letter the router mr3040 keeps on rebooting for ever like 4hours what could I be doing wrong
February 01, 2015 06:46PM
Hi maina,
please post a thread in the OpenWrt section.
Where did you download the image from?
What lights are flashing and which not?
In which way are the lights flashing?

Matthias