[SOLVED]Problems Setting SSID on Asus WL-330GE

Posted by lostmtkid 
[SOLVED]Problems Setting SSID on Asus WL-330GE
March 05, 2011 12:34AM
The FedEx guy dropped off all the requisite parts for a PirateBox this afternoon and I set right to it...until I got to changing the SSID on the router.

Everytime I change it from the default to 'PirateBox' (and click either 'apply settings' or 'save'), the browser promptly flips to a blank screen...and the default SSID remains. I have tried resetting the router as well, all to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 06:58PM by darts.
Re: Problems Setting SSID on Asus WL-330GE
March 05, 2011 01:45AM
That's odd.

Though I guess on the positive, you were able to flash DD-WRT onto the router via tftp which is always the trickiest part.

A few suggestions...

1. Try a different browser.

2. You can set the SSID from the terminal - you'll first need to enable SSHd via Services > Services

nvram set wl0_ssid="PirateBox - Share Freely!" 
nvram set wl_ssid="PirateBox - Share Freely!" 
nvram commit
reboot

3. If all else fails, you can try loading a different version of the firmware from the DD-WRT router database (or even the same version again). You "should" be able to do this via the DD-WRT web interface (use an ethernet cable and wait at least a few minutes after loading the firmware before power cycling the router).
Re: Problems Setting SSID on Asus WL-330GE
March 05, 2011 02:51AM
It appears that, for whatever reason, Firefox was the culprit. I downloaded Opera and encountered no problems changing the SSID.

Thanks for your assistance!
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.